A Guinness in Galway

Thebartender handed me my glass and the last lights of day glittered offthe sides. The sun was still warm on my back, but it couldn'tcompete with the flush I felt when I looked over and caught his eyes.It took barely a second to get lost in them, and I wasn't evenconcerned with how my face must've looked until I shifted my glassand a beam of light caused him to squint in pain.

"Aye,watch where you're pointin' that," he said with a small laugh.

Oh,shit. I shifted the glass back. "Shit, sorry."

Hewas laughing as the bartender handed him his beer, giving the guy anod as he sat back down.

"Theyshould be here soon, they said they were close..." I rushed mywords, trying to pretend I was still casual. (I wasn't.)

"They'llbe another hour then, yea? Knowing that lot."

"Well,I mean you're not wrong."

Afew beats pass and then my phone buzzes in my jacket pocket. I pullit out, raising my eyebrow knowingly at him. I read the message, andlaugh.

"Christinesays they're trying to find a parking spot. Soooo, give or takeabout 15 minutes."

"Enoughtime for another drink," he says with a grin.

Thegroup files in about 8 minutes later, filling the bar with the soundof their feet and laughter. As they all settle at the bar next to us,the whole place seems to come alive. The noise level rises justenough that I don't feel like I have to fill in the spaces betweensentences, which is good because to speak to other people down thebar Ed is having to lean over me and I am absolutely distracted.Christine, who sat to my right, is laughing into her drink when mybrain comes back into focus. I shoot her a warning glare.

"What?!"She tries to act innocent. "I heard something funny."

"You'regonna see something funny in a second," I mumble, tipping the lastof my drink back.

Shestarts to speak, but Ed sits down at that moment and asks if I wantanother drink.

"Uh,well if I'm gonna drive later maybe not?"

Hesmiles at me for a brief second before waving down the bartender.

"Aye,mate, can we get two doubles?"

"Wait- oh, no, yea ok you're already gone." I give Ed an exasperatedlook. He grins and gives my shoulder a squeeze.

Hourslater, we all start to disperse, heading to our cars to figure outwho's going home and who's going for more drinks. Being one ofthe lightweights, I'm debating on just calling it a night.Christine is headed with her friend-but-not-quite-boyfriend to a bardown the street, and she wants me to go with. I look behind me,trying to see if Ed is leaving or staying. He's next to a friendscar, but soon gives them a salute and turns toward us.

"Comingto Smithe's?" Christine asks him, looping her arm through mineand giving me a little tug.

"Mightas well."

"Great!"She smiles and lets me go to catch up with Jon, who is alreadywalking out of the parking lot toward the next destination.

Isigh, then laugh. "She's going to be the death of me."

"Probably,"Ed says, putting his arm where hers had been and hauling me with himthrough the parking lot.

We'reboth laughing when we catch up to Christine and Jon at the front doorof the bar. We wait to be seated, Eds hand coming to rest lightly atthe small of my back. Telling myself it's just the alcohol, I tryto ignore the chill that goes straight up to my brain as we'reushered inside. The booth they sit us in is like its own littleisland, nestled away in the darkest corner of the bar. I'm suddenlyvery aware of how tipsy I am as we all slide in behind the roundtable; first Jon, then Christine, then me, then Ed last. We all chitchat idly and skim the drink menu until a waiter comes to get ourorders. Everyone gets a water, and a drink, and we order the biggestappetizer sampler, hoping to soak up some of the alcohol for thedrive home. Once the waiter is gone, Christine announces she has topee, and after giving me a look, I remember that I, uh, have to pee,too.