Chapter One: September

A/N: I know there are a lot of OCs at the moment, but Chapter 1 part 2 will have plenty of you favorite canon characters~!

Part 1: Freshman Orientation

            Curled up beneath a light blanket, Frank Zhang didn’t expect to have the snot beaten out of him with just a pillow. After the incident, he made a mental note to never sleep in later than his older half-sister, Clarisse.

            “Wake up, Zhang! You sleep like a dog!” Clarisse shouted while smacking him silly.

            “I’m up, Clarisse! Leave me alone!” Frank complained, sitting up quickly was his hands up to block his sister’s hits.

            “It’s almost eleven in the afternoon and you have that stupid orientation at the high school and I don’t want to wait for you to get ready!”

            With that, Frank’s older half-sister stormed out of his room and slammed the door shut behind her. The Chinese Canadian simply stared at the door for a minute or so, before he pulled off his blanket and toppled out of bed. After pulling himself back up onto his feet, Frank did his best to rub the drowsiness from his eyes and put on an outfit for the day. In the end, he had put on a purple t-shirt, a pair of black basketball shorts, and his Nike sneakers.

            “What time do I need to be at the high school?” Frank called as he opened the door to his room and stuffed his cellphone into his pocket.

            “Oh, I don’t know! You should know these kinds of things!” Clarisse shouted from the kitchen downstairs.

            Biting back a sigh, Frank backed up into his room once more and grabbed his laptop which was about three years old. When he opened it, Frank had to wait for the laptop to start up which took up a good five minutes of his time. He then navigated onto the Vienna Downs School District webpage and clicked on the high school tab. On the high school homepage, there weren’t many announcements except for supply lists and important meetings and it took a bit of scrolling to find that the freshman orientation was at 12:30.

            “It starts at 12:30, Clarisse!” Frank announced as he shut his laptop and made his way back towards his bedroom door.

            “Okay, whatever I’ll drive you there but this is the only time I’ll ever do something for you!” Frank’s half-sister answered as she plopped down on a kitchen chair, clearly not in any sort of rush.

            Clarisse’s half-brother walked down the stairs and into the kitchen and grabbed an orange from the basket of fruit in the middle of the small countertop before beginning to carefully peel away the fruit’s rough skin. The idea of starting his freshman year of high school tomorrow was picking at him in an almost identical manner to how he picked the skin off of his orange. Sure Frank had everything he needed, but just the idea of attending a new school and being ‘the little guy’ again really shook up his nerves. From what he had heard from Clarisse and his upperclassmen friends, everything they told him about the high school experience was definitely not something shown in any cheesy teen movie. They would ramble on and on about the extensive work load and how little time they actually had to relax. Frank’s work load at the moment only consisted of two summer reading assignments and the preparation of his school materials, but he also had gotten his schedule for the school’s junior varsity football team and that was a much different story. Maybe the young boy shouldn’t have been stressing as much as he was, but at this point Frank couldn’t avoid it. Looking down at his now peeled orange, the stress had seemed to have curved the Chinese Canadian’s appetite.