Chapter Twenty-Two - Horde

The world shifted, thumping and pumping to the rhythm of my own heartbeat

I scratched my neck, unsure who or where I was.

I was a little girl named Jenny, exploring a world of green. A teenager named Lenore, waiting for my father to come back home. I was a woman named Farrah. I stared up at my older sister, laughing with amazement at her audacity. In her office, I shouted at my mother as she told me I was better than farming. Dressed all in black, I explored the forbidden borders of the city with my best friend...

"Hello?"

From under a inky black waterfall of thick hair, a woman stared at me. I knew her, though I did not know how. Still, I was sure that I knew her. I knew everything about her. I thought I might have been her.

The woman's eyes expanded until they were my entire world. I swam in the ocean's depths and found that I could breathe there, which seemed remarkable though I could not place why. It was too dark to see on the ocean floor, so I formed orbs of light and released them into the water. Away and around they floated, illuminating the murky deep. In my light, I scuttled with crabs and tangled with eels and burrowed with fish.

Presently, I felt my Master's need and the dark haired woman was in the ocean that was in her eye. "Now," the woman said and I knew what she meant. I gave my strength over as she reached for it and the world outside her eyes changed.

A flood of new memories filled me and I was alone on the ocean floor. We were alone. Us, the many and the few. The Master's horde.

END

Thanks so much for reading. If you enjoyed this chapter, let me know by clicking the vote button, leaving a comment, or reviewing "The Big Sleep (The Masters)" on Goodreads!