Chapter Thirteen - Dreamcaller

I summoned my lion, whole once more, and climbed onto its back, using its limbs as footholds

I summoned my lion, whole once more, and climbed onto its back, using its limbs as footholds. It nudged me into a sitting position with the tip of its snout and, with both fists, I clutched its purple cape. Once I was settled, I dug my heels into its side. It lurched forward, uneasy at first, then burst into a graceful gallop, prancing around the stadium.

From my glorious golden perch, I watched the other students work. Kayle shifted endlessly from her usual form to that of a half-snake-half-human lump on the ground. It was grotesque. Billy feebly shot purple sparks from his hands. The small girl who had been shooting guns earlier was pulling banana-shaped mounds of metal from her hips. The vine-climber tugged on the side of a pillar, moving it millimeters at a time.

With perhaps more pride than I deserved to have, I smiled to myself. I would never have to spend so much time learning and practicing my skills. I could do virtually anything.

I jumped from my lion's back and rushed across the stadium, stopping momentarily at Kayle's side. I pulled all of my limbs inward and pictured scales and venom. I slithered a victory lap around her pathetic form, then rose up as myself again. As I ran past Billy, I made a fist and shot a bright, purple fork of lightning past his ear, then I turned swiftly and drew a revolver from my hip, pointed it at the cowgirl, and shouted, "Draw!"

She fumbled with a metal hunk for a moment before raising her hands in defeat. Finally, I sped toward the pillar that the vine-climber had been working on and, with a light, back-handed tap, toppled it to the ground.

Triumphant, I placed my hands on my hips and turned to view my fans. Several unimpressed faces glared back. A slow clap came from the back of the arena, obviously mocking my stunt.

"My daughter is a show-off," my father's voice came from the direction of the clapping. "Great."

Laughter that I didn't recognize came from the same direction. "Just like her dad," said the other.

Two men appeared out of the shadows. The first was my father, dressed in a matching mint green poncho and top hat. The second was a man that I did not know who wore a long, velvety green robe. He was slightly fat in his mid-section and had developed far past the point of balding and right on into bald. Wire-framed glasses magnified his small, grey eyes. If he wasn't walking upright, I may have mistaken this guy for a mole.

"Now's not the time for long lectures," my father said as he approached. "But let me just say, Rain, never do that again."

I stared down at my ballet slippers and frowned. I had just done something amazing. Why was everyone so sore about it?

"Well, sorry," I said in a mocking tone.

"What was that?" snapped the man I didn't recognize. His beady eyes were trained on my own. "Snark, my dear, will get you nowhere." He walked toward me as he spoke, taking a step with each word, finally bouncing his chest against mine at the last. I fell backward, he was surprisingly solid.