Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen.

I woke up that following morning when a servant had sneaked into the room I was sleeping in and opened the curtains. Without as much of a warning, a blinding light filled the room and it took a while before I could properly open my eyes, having to adjust to first. I took my time getting out of bed, enjoying the feeling of a soft mattress while I could.

When I did leave the warmth and comfort of the heavy blankets I noticed that the tub of water was still steaming – magic, no doubt – and I decided that I might as well indulge in another luxury. This was a mansion after all and I assumed that they would appreciate it if I appeared at breakfast clean. I even took the time to comb out my hair, wincing as I did my best to get out all of the knots.

Leaving the guestroom washed and fully dressed in my armor, I found another servant waiting to take me to where I hoped was breakfast. In the daylight, the building was even more impressive; the wallpaper was an even more vibrant color and I could see the details in the paintings. The curtains were drawn and a weak sunlight reflected against the glass of the chandeliers; the weather had cleared after the snowfall of yesterday. This was good; it meant that we would probably leave today for the First Seal.

The servant opened a door and gestured for me to enter; I thanked the woman and she nodded politely, but did not say anything. Behind the doors I found a light hall with a long table, filled with plates with food and both Valeria and Asalie were already there, eating their breakfast. I noticed that both had used their tub of warm water as well, the dirt that days of traveling had left behind was gone now.

“Good morning,” Valeria greeted me as I sat down opposite of her, glancing over the types of bread and fruit that I could choose from.

“Good morning,” I smiled at her and took a sweet bread roll from a pile and smeared a portion of jam on it.

“How did you sleep?” the Mage asked, taking a few strawberries from a bowl.

“Good, I do not think I ever slept in a bed as comfortable as this one.” Valeria and Asalie agreed with me and we talked about some of the absurd luxuries of this building; like the glowing chandeliers, the self warming tubs, and the amount of servants walking around and the vivid colors of the wallpaper.

“Did any of them talk to you? The servants, I mean.” Asalie noted and I shook my head. “Do you not think it is weird?”

“Perhaps they are not allowed to or maybe it is a way of showing respect.” Valeria commented and shrugged. “They could even be afraid of us; you two look quite scary still.” She grinned and popped a strawberry into her mouth.

“Hey, what is that?” I noticed the book that was lying to Valeria’s left; a thick book with a dark green leather cover, the golden letters that had spelled its title had already faded too much to be able to read it.

“It is a book with the basic theories on modern day sealing magic.” Valeria patted the book lovingly. “Lord Fennin lent it to me, so I can understand the old way better.”

“I see.” I did not understand enough about magic, but I could understand that it might make it easier.

I expected to see a huge carriage pulled by four horses when Lord Fennin announced that he would be traveling with us to destroy the seals. But even though his traveling outfit was too colorful to be of much use, he had only arranged his own horse and was bringing only the stuff he would really need. It surprised me after our stay in his mansion where everything was overly luxurious, but I was glad the Lord could see that such a display of wealth would possibly attract unwanted attention.