CHAPTER TWO -- YIN

(I'VE BEEN WORKING ON MY LEFT-HAND WRITING IDK WHY I TOLD Y'ALL ANYWAY ONTO THE STORY!!!)

Pidge looked up from the robot she was working with, her glasses sort of foggy. "Did you need something, Yin?"

"Yeah." Yin stood in the doorway, feeling slightly stupid. "Have you seen Jack? Or Hydro?"

"No." Pidge narrowed her eyes. "Did you need them?"

Shrugging, Yin began looking around. "I don't know. I just haven't seen them."

"When'd you notice they were gone?"

"This morning."

Pidge gave her a lop-sided smile. "Hydro's kind of cute."

Heat rushed into Yin's face. "I don't like him like that! I have a boyfriend!"

The small girl gave a low chuckle. "Oh? Who? Lance?"

"Of course not! He's completely gay."

Pidge met Yin's gaze. "He's lesbian; Lance is a girl."

"No, he's bi."

Shrugging, Pidge turned back to whatever she was doing. "Yeah, I think so. I heard him talking to Shiro about it. From what I heard, Shiro wasn't amused."

Yin snickered. "He should talk to his Lion about it."

"That would be funny, wouldn't it?"

Something came over Yin, making her sag slightly. "No, not really. That would be like talking to a dog or a cat or any kind of pet. They can't respond to you, but it's nice to know that they're listening and that they care, even if they don't understand."

Turning, Pidge met Yin's gaze with a serious expression. "Did you ever have someone to turn to?"

"Yes," Yin whispered, grief making her heart drag. "My best friend, Emma. We'd talk about everything, and she was always there when I needed a shoulder to cry on. She was so strong. She'd protect me. Actually, she'd die for me, and I'd do the same." She fought back the urge to cry.

"Me, too," Pidge said so softly Yin could hardly hear her. "I had a brother... Matt. He went off to the place where I came from, and then went on some great space mission. Shiro was there."

"Shiro?"

"Yeah. Shiro. They never came back."

Yin clenched her hand. "But Shiro did."

"Yeah, Shiro did." Pidge's eyes flashed. "He attacked Matt in the Galra Empire."

Shock pierced through Yin. "Attacked him? Why?"

"He wouldn't tell me. But if I did, I didn't listen."

"Oh, Pidge, I'm so sorry."

Pidge shrugged it off. "It's okay. Anyway, don't worry. We'll keep looking for Jack, Nate, and Hydro."

Yin turned to leave.

Pidge's voice drifted after her, "You'll probably need another shoulder to cry on. I'm always here if you need me."

Yin's mouth dried up with gratitude, she could hardly get the words out. "Thanks, Pidge. I'm here for you, too."