Chapter 2: Rain & 20 Questions

I take out my headphones as I head into my last class of the day; music. I sit down in the back seat per usual and sigh as the bell signals the end of passing period, and more importantly my time to zone out the rest of the world.

"Take your seats everybody! Get out your notebook and copy down the information on the board for today's music journal," Mrs. Malebranche says happily, taking a seat at her desk.

I take out my notebook and scribble down the information on a song I didn't know, writing down what else I'd need to fill in as the song played. Once everyone finished, Mrs. Malebranche started to play the song and I wrote down the first three instruments I could clearly recognize, moving on to fill out the other information.

Halfway through my opinion of the song, the boy with green eyes walks into the room and over to the teacher's desk, telling her something I couldn't hear over the music.

I watched as she scanned her hand to all the empty seats he could sit in, and I noticed one of them she pointed out being the one next to me. She knew that I preferred to sit alone, though she's always trying to help me make friends even though I've told her I was fine alone.

As she pointed to my seat, his eyes followed to meet mine once again today, smiling a bit and walking up, right towards me.

"Hello", he says in a thick british accent as he sits down.

"Hey", I say in response, looking away to my notebook and finishing my music journal and sitting back in my seat.

"What are we doing?" he asks, looking around at everyone writing.

"A music journal. Every class the teacher plays a song for us and we need to fill in the blanks of these things. We need to find 3 instruments in the song, and what we think the tempo, dynamics, and mood/message is. After you finish that you write your opinion, not 'I like the song' or 'I hate it', but why you do. On the board she put the title, artist, genre, and date."

He stared at me for a few seconds, before smiling and taking out a notebook, copying down what I had said and filling in what he needed to.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows a bit.

"You're really good at giving instructions. It tells me that you're confident, and very smart. I like that", he says softly, ripping out his music journal and standing to turn it in.

I stay quiet for a moment, before a small smile plays at my lips, thinking about what he had said. Just hearing that makes me want to get to know him more, to see what else he'll like about me, and what I'll like about him.

I stand and rip out my own music journal, writing my name at the top and turning it in after the green eyed boy. I head back to my seat and sit next to him, just as he turns to look at me. "You know I never got your name", he smiles.

"Darcie."

"Full name?"

"Darcie Williams..." I say, a bit confused.

"Nice to meet you Darcie Williams. I'm Harry Styles, but you could call me Harry."

**

I slam my locker shut as I put my headphones on, smiling to myself as the empty noise of conversation fade away and familiar beats take over. I walk through the hallways to the exit, frowning as I see that it is pouring rain.

I do love the rain, it's calming and I oddly enjoy the smell of it, but walking in it for 20 minutes is another story. I shake my head and drop my phone down my shirt then put it in my pocket so my headphones stay dry.