the last valkyrie

Valkyries are powerful woman shrouded in feathers and fire whom select their victor, a man who died bravely in battle, to take to Valhalla and present to their God, Odin. This may seem like an easy task, but when a Valkyrie touches the earth, they take form of a mortal, fight a path to their chosen ones, and, for those who don't make it, are struck down within battle. When a war ignites between kingdoms and kills off the Valkyries, all of hope in Valhalla is turned to a baby girl left on the doorstep of a mortal widows home...

Astrid's love of historical battles was not an addiction young girls were supposed to have. Then again, she wasn't like most girls her age either. She loved to go barefoot racing with all the men in her village and, in her free time, spar with her brother. But when a King's soldier, of the Dansk Empire, is shot dead during an attack from the rebels, and Astrid had witnessed it while hunting, she accidentally sends his soul to Valhalla with everyone there to witness.

Overcome with greed, the King orders Astrid to join his ranks as lieutenant in war, a piece to use against his enemy, the Aesir Empire, or in Astrid's case, a slave for evil deeds. Thrown into a secret mission, Astrid must murder Aesir Empire's General or she will die a painful death. Yet, somehow, she can't seem to make herself do it.

Stuck between her own life or the life of the Aesir General, Astrid must stay true to herself. That means she'll do whatever it takes to unite the empires... or kill the King of Dansk.