prologue

Screams curdled within the air, echoing through the matted wheat fields. Its soil, black and damp, stained blue faces and stiff bodies who clutched their weapons close as if they were ready to fight even in death. Their eyes were still open.

War had a unique aura, it was similar to Death but differed in the fact that it not only brought death, but also the kind of terror that only man-made things could bestow.

War was different to everyone. Some thought it pointless and some thought it necessary to end matters that could not be done civilly. But everyone misses the feeling of comfort and love, laughter and belonging, passion and heartache. You realize, in the end, that death in a war falls among all.

Honorable men will live eternally. The winged women, armed with swords, shields, bows and arrows, could attest to it. They fall from the skies, fighting among man to protect the souls of the dead, but only the most honorable in battle. When man falls, these women bring their souls to the halls Valhalla, a place of honor, of ale and song and peace, protected by the Valkyries, the winged woman of war, sworn under the command of the great god Odin.

But no one is immortal, and winged women of Valhalla faced a war that no man had ever faced before, a dark war, a mad war, a war that killed their race and closed the golden gates of peace forevermore.

Or so people thought.