Chapter 10: Hook Line and Sinker

It was a perfect day to be outside, the sky a clear blue and free of clouds. Strong sunshine made the lake sparkle as it lapped against the dock. It was good swimming weather but the kids weren't splashing around. Instead they were waiting up on the boardwalk, and had been for some time.

Stephanie sat in the cabana with her chin in her hands while beside her Pixel was keeping tabs on the weather with his computer. Leaning on the counter Stingy drummed his fingers with increasing impatience. He checked his watch for the fifth time.

"I don't think he's coming," Stingy said.

"Just a few more minutes," Stephanie said.

"You said that ten minutes ago," Stingy grumbled. The girl sighed.

"Maybe he didn't get our letters?" she suggested. Pixel shook his head.

"I don't think so. I put tracking on them before we sent them. The signal got faint when it went underground, but it looks like they were received, see?" He pushed a few buttons on the palmtop computer strapped to his arm and showed Stephanie the screen. While the exact location was unclear the device showed that the canisters had stopped traveling at some point, presumably reaching their destination.

"I don't understand," Stephanie said. "I thought for sure it would work. Sportacus always comes when we send him letters."

"I think Robbie has made it clear that he's not Sportacus," Pixel said. "But still, he could at least RSVP yes or no. He's had all morning to decide."

"Not if he sleeps in until noon," Stingy suggested dryly.

"Did we not give him enough time to get ready?" Stephanie considered the idea. "Should we write him again and reschedule?"

"Do NOT send more letters," Robbie said. The kids looked up in surprise as the villain rounded the fence and stalked onto the boardwalk.

"You're here!" Stephanie said, half in greeting and half in relief.

"You're late," Stingy said. Robbie gave the boy a narrow look and Stephanie darted out of the cabana to move things along.

"Let's not waste any more time, then. Are you ready?"

Robbie turned his suspicious gaze onto Stephanie. "Ready for what? That chicken scratch you call a note barely said anything."

"Just come this way," Stephanie took Robbie by the elbow and pulled him down the boardwalk. Robbie gave a startled jerk for being manhandled by the pink girl but found himself following her direction and heading for the dock with the rest of the kids following.

Four beach chairs sat in a row on the dock overlooking the water. Next to each chair a fishing rod lay ready with one large tackle box to share. Stephanie walked Robbie right over and guided him to sit down in one of the chairs. He shook his arm a bit once she let go of him and looked around himself at the setup. His expression remained guarded.

"What's this supposed to be?" he asked.

"It's fishing," Pixel said, taking one of the seats beside Robbie's. He picked up his fishing rod and showed it to the man. "You've got your line right here, and it winds up in the reel all the way down to where you hook your bait on the end. See?"

Robbie saw, and his expression soured. "Another one of your games," he said, sounding like he was chewing a lemon.

"This is one even you should like," Stephanie said.

"And why," Robbie asked, "should I like anything about it?"

"Because to play this game we all have to sit still and be really quiet," Stephanie said. "If we don't we'll scare the fish away, and we won't catch anything."