The Russian Takeover

In the beginning it was all about getting home. It was about finding my family and making sure that they were safe, but now it is about so much more. It has turned into a quest for justice, liberty, and a total anialation of the entire government. The United States is no longer a country; it is a state of Russia. Ukraine was the first country to become a Russian state. Soon afterwards both North America and Australia attacked Russia, my grandfather was in the army that attacked Russia first, but they both failed to conquer Russia. After the attack on Russia many South American countries gave themselves up to Russia, simply because if the United States couldn't defeat a country then almost no one else had a chance. The rest of the world followed within the next six months, and every person in the world is now a Russian slave, except for my family. We managed to escape the Russian forces at first, and up until three weeks ago, we were citizens of the Russian State of America. The political leaders from Russia had no clue that we were living amongst them, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike down the government and take back our country. Every moment since the takeover my parents had been formulating a plan to take down the government and bring back the United States of America. Until they were taken we were as close as a family could be without a home.

It happened about three weeks ago; we were in their office trying to decide when we should launch our attack when my mom told me to hide in the closet and handed me a gun. Then they came and beat my parents until they passed out. While they were unconcious the soldeirs dragged them to their car and drove off. There were three men in black uniforms that kind of look like the old United States Navy uniforms. I was the only one who wasn't captured. The moment that they were captured I started looking for them.

I packed a bunch of supplies in a giant back pack, put on my special hiking gear that my parents bought me in case this ever happened, and raided the house for any weapons that my parents had hidden. After that I was on my way to the forest behind my house. I hiked about two miles to get to a river, and refilled my water bottle. The water from the river wasn't clean so I had to purify it with a few water purifying tablets. I had about twenty containers full of them so I wasn't too worried about running out at the time. Little did I know that they would be very valuable when trading for information about my parents's whereabouts.

For the rest of that day I hiked along the river until I came to a small cottage that my parents had built for such an occasion. They had packed it full of enough survival supplies to last ten years in the wilderness, complete with dehydrated food, MREs, and medical supplies. They had also packed tents, sleeping bags, space blankets, fire starter kits, knives, and most importantly, weapons. They had a whole arsenal in a cellar beneath the cottage; there were bows, guns, ammo, arrows, knives, and throwing stars. My parents had taught me how to operate and throw everything in the arsenal, but I never thought that I would put that knowledge to use.

I packed up all of the stuff I had found and lit a fire in the fire place. I figured that there wasn't any harm in staying in the cottage for a while, little did I know that those few precious hours would cost me everything in the end. After I lit the fire I went to the kitchen and grabbed some bread and peanut butter to make a sandwich for a snack. I didn't get two steps from the fire place before someone knocked on the door. I grabbed my knife from its place on my belt and carefully approached the door. I cautiously opened the door to find a man kneeling on the ground with his hands in the air.

When I more closely examined him I realized that he wasn't a man at all. He was a boy a little older than me by the looks of him. He had dark brown hair and bright green eyes that shined in the light. Immediately I trusted him. I didn't know why at the time, but I trusted him with my life.

"Who are you?" I asked with a calm voice, "What are you doing here?"

"My name is Sam. I came for food, my family has been hiding in the forest since Russia took over. We hate them, and aren't afraid to die because of that. Who are you?" He replied smoothly. I didn't know what to say, I had finally found another resistor. I didn't trust myself to speak, so I let him into the cottage.

"I'm the owner of this cottage," I said when I was sure I could speak without my voice shaking. "but I need help. If I can get you a weapon or two, would you be willing to help me find my parents. They were taken by Russian soldiers, and I want them back. We hate Russia too. Will you please help me?"

"Of course I'll help you. I would always help you, even without the bonus weapons." Sam replied with a smile. "As long as you help me too. My family was taken as well." His face fell, "I need to find them, and chances are that they are together."

'Perfect!" I reply. "Get some rest, there's a bed in the other room, and I'll have breakfast ready when you wake up."

"Okay, good night." He said, yawning. "See you in the morning."

"Good night Sam." I reply, sitting down on the couch to read. He walked into the room I had pointed out, and went to sleep.After Sam had fallen asleep, I went into the kitchen and grabbed an apple and some water, and I walked back out to the couch to read my book. The book is one of the titles that Russia had outlawed long ago so I have never read it. It's called the Hunger Games and it was outlawed because it is about rebellion. I really can relate to some of the characters, like Katniss. Always being relied on for support, back in my old life there was always someone needing something from me. Always someone needing my help, and I have to supply it because that's just who I am. It's the same way for Katniss. Her family constantly needs something and she is the only one left to get it. I end up reading all night, and I finish the book without putting it down.