5

After his experience with the adults of LazyTown Robbie went willingly back to hanging out with a few of the kids. Sportacus got the ball rolling again with a bit of soccer, then throwing Frisbees around, then playing tag— it seemed like the man never ran out of energy, and neither did the kids. They loved to run and jump and play with their slightly above average hero, and so did Robbie— at least, that's what they all told him.

As hard as he tried to keep up with them all Robbie just couldn't seem to get the knack of any of the games. He huffed and puffed trying to follow along, not laughing with everyone else so much as wheezing. Soccer balls bounced off his backside, Frisbees flew over his head, and he could barely run across the sports field to tag anybody else leaving him stuck as the player to be "It." There were too many rules to learn, too much running and jumping around, and not enough time in the day.

"It's getting late," Stephanie said, pausing in the fun and games to gaze towards the setting sun. "I should be heading home."

"That's a good idea," Sportacus approved with a smile. "Early to bed, early to rise."

"Me too," Stingy said. As the kids started exchanging their farewells Robbie tensed on the spot.

"You're all going home?" he asked.

"Well of course!" Ziggy said. "We can't stay out here all night, can we? You should go home too, Robbie."

"But I can't," Robbie said.

"What?" Ziggy laughed a little. "How come?"

"Because," Robbie said. "I don't remember where I live."

The chatter died down as confusion dawned across everyone's faces. The kids looked to each other and to Sportacus, wordlessly asking— but nobody could say anything. Robbie's hands began to ball up into fists.

"Don't any of you know?" he asked.

"Well— no," Stephanie was the one to come out and say it. "None of us really know that for sure..."

"What?" Robbie stared around at them all, not quite glaring, and his voice cracked. "Well why not?"

The immediate silence in the wake of his question was almost palpable, an uncomfortable pressure on the ears. Stephanie shrugged her shoulders.

"It's not like you've ever invited us over before," she said. "I guess you're pretty private about that sort of thing is all."

Robbie had started to grit his teeth together and his fists were clenching so hard that his knuckles went white. Rather than start shouting, however, he took in a long draw of air through his nose and let it out slowly, uncurling his fingers at the same time. His shoulders sagged and the corners of his mouth drooped down as his whole demeanor deflated.

"What am I supposed to do now?" he asked, almost a plea.

They all stood together with the awkward uncertainty passing back and forth between them.

"I know!" Stingy hopped in place. "He can come stay in MY house and help me count all my things!"

Robbie raised his head and looked at Stingy with a perplexed stitch in his brow for the dubious invitation.

"No," Stephanie countered, "he can stay with me and my uncle and we can practice our dances!" The girl brightened up at the idea while Robbie started to cross his arms, a frown still nestled in his face.

"Why doesn't he come stay at my place?" Ziggy asked. "I've got loads of pizza and soda and—"

"NO!" Everyone shouted the boy down at once. Robbie, who'd just started to perk up at Ziggy's description, returned to looking dejected at the unanimous rejection.