Prompt #1 December 4th - 9th 2017

One wedding. Four lives ruined.

Gabriela:

All men are liars. The pretty ones. The ugly ones. Even the ones who have a heart. I don't trust men. I've never had a reason to. Life had shown me over the last few months that the feeling I had, had always been right. It was all that harlots fault. Someone I revered as a trusted employee. I'd never call her a friend. She was below my social standing. But she was good at what she did. Up until she hooked her claws in Roman.

I'd grown up with Roman. He was always my plus-one. Our families had expected us to marry. It wasn't arranged but they were just convinced that we'd continue our relationship up to marriage. I didn't love him. He didn't love me. That didn't mean our affection couldn't grow. It had been the same with my parents. I knew what was expected of us.

He knew it too. But didn't care. I thought I was dealing with that reality well. It was getting harder to keep my own feelings in check. I needed him in my life. I wish I wasn't this needy. I guess I hadn't inspired him to change for me.

He said he was in love. How could you be in love with someone you'd only known for a month? I came here to stop this mess of a wedding. I'm standing outside the church waiting for Jeremiah to text me. I hope he got through to that thick head of Romans.

When it finally comes, I hear the wedding march. Summoning all the courage I have, stepping inside is easier than I thought. And from where I'm hiding, he's there, standing there so regal. So handsome. He looks so happy. I'm about to change that. Then I see her coming around the corner in the dress that should be on my body. Flames hit me with a force.

Ready or not, here I come Greer. I stand by while they go through the motions of matrimony, until my queue.

"Is there anyone who does not consent to this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace."

I calmly step out from the little alcove I've been hiding in and speak my mind.

"I do! I do not want this man marrying that woman! He belongs to me!"

The gasps from the crowd is music to my ears.

Roman:

I've done it. I've done what was expected of me. It may not be with the person my parents has warned me to marry, but she's worth their disdain. So they've disowned me. I could care less. She's everything I've wanted in a wife, right down to her pink little toes.

A brain. A Beauty. Humorous. Charismatic. Pragmatic.

When I walked into that bar a month ago and saw her sitting there looking as perfect as a peach, in that little tight red dress, I was a goner. Anything that was drilled into me by my father flew out the window. I know how much agony my decision has caused. My family expects more of me. It starts with the perfect wife who belongs in our world.

Money: With money comes education. With education comes decorum. With decorum comes a lies.

Connections: With connections comes more money. With money comes the facade.

You get the picture. It's a vicious cycle.

The woman I've chosen to marry cares nothing about that and has tried so hard to make my life hell, it's worked so far. But I can deal with hell, it's a life without her that I can't handle. She's not anything like her mother. Which made her so much more appealing.