Chapter 3: Maybe

Lucy was really out of character since everyone learned the truth. She arrived at her house awhile ago and she had already begun packing. It was silent and it didn't really matter to Lucy. Wendy and Levy were staring horrified by her change of personality. Not necessarily horrified, but they were disturbed. It just wasn't like her!

Maybe it's because she still believes that she is going to be replaced, since she is only alive temporary. She didn't want to show emotions and feelings because they would only act like they care. Once she died they will just go on with their lives. She didn't want to get her hopes up, so she wouldn't even try to socialize. She knew Fairy Tail wasn't like that, but she couldn't get that thought clouding her mind.

She will leave the explanations to Jellal and Porlyusca. The Celestial Mage didn't know how he got a grasp of her families private information. Though, she didn't dwell onto it as much.

Things were different now, every last hope she ever had were looking down on her. Her eyes were dull. Not even a simple smile or even a forced smile. She didn't even try to force a smile to make people less worried. It was selfish of her, she knew. Can you blame her? It's not everyday you learn you will die and their is nothing you can do about it.

She just wanted to be left alone, but knowing Fairy tail their going to try. Fairy tail wouldn't actually replace her but she couldn't help come to this conclusion. Lucy sighed as she turned to Wendy and Levy.

"Guess I will answer your questions, anyway, it's not like you can change my fate." Lucy looked at them expecting questions. Her eyes were half way closed as she zipped her bag. Lucy gazed lazily at her fellow guild members. She shrugged and placed her bag of who-knows-what on her pink covered bed.

Wendy and Levy followed and sat beside Lucy. Levy and Wendy were supposed to be happy about Lucy changing her mind or even relieved. Though, with that last part Lucy had spoken, it really wasn't the time, atmosphere or place.

"You wanted to know the symptoms. Probably to see if you could help, isn't it so?" Lucy said bluntly, her guess was right. Wendy nodded in agreement, "Yes, even if their was just a small chance we will take it." she was determined as her eyes reflected it. That fire showed that she wouldn't give up at all. Lucy had noticed that. Levy's hum of agreement to Wendy's determination indicated she was the same.

She was tired you could tell. Lucy sighed, "Okay fine. But like I said it won't help so don't get your hopes up."

Levy's P.O.V

Is this really the outgoing Lucy I knew.

It couldn't be! Could it?

My disbelief was unjustified as Lucy sat beside of me. It was Lucy. The the kind, bright and friendly best friend of mine.

She always smiled. She was always outgoing. Natsu had effected her a lot.

Now look at her. She lost her smile once we learned the truth. She lost her self having to say the reality out loud. The reality she believed couldn't be changed. Her eyes were so dull and lifeless.

I stared at Lucy. I'm sure, I looked worryingly in Lucy's direction.

There was silence for the third time. "Well, you see. When you get this disease..." Lucy tried explaining, but trailed off. Her voice was low and dry.

She clearly needed sleep.

"Close to your twentieth birthday — the age the body can't handle the virus anymore — you'll feel symptoms such as dizziness and tiredness."

"So that's the First symptom." I nodded thoughtfully at the new information. "How much are there?" I asked. I didn't want to push my luck, so I kept the questions to a minimum. Wendy had the same idea, since you know she was — well — Wendy.

"Four," she answered simply.

Well, that's not so bad.

I spoke too soon.

"The second is blood lost via coughing up blood, but it seems odd really."

"What?" I asked curious, but I knew I wouldn't like the answer.

"Your body gives out at one point and only then the third symptom appears; fainting due to the lack of blood and how tired you felt on the first symptom."

"I see, so what's odd?" I shouldn't of asked that.

"Yesterday was normal for me to start coughing up blood. How the third symptom works is the final blood lost and I start fainting. But it seems-" she was cut of by Wendy's and my gasped.

"Then... then why did the third symptom happen yesterday?" Wendy asked horrified. Both of us regretted that question. Wishing that we didn't hear what was heard.

"It seems... my death is nearing faster than its supposed to. I had a few months to live, but my death apparently will be sooner."

It was silent after that statement.

Why? Is all I could think in my saddened state.

Jellal's P.O.V

"You're saying there is an ability that the Heartfilia have. And it allows them to crossover to other eras in the world?" Gajeel asked crossing his arms.

He seemed to be a difficult one to convince.

"Yes. As most people know this, there are some places in the world we haven't explored," I stated the obvious information.

"Yes I remember, they say there are borders we can't cross in this world. They say that there are invisible lines that keep us from traveling across it," Erza said with confusion. Judging by the look she had thought it was a mere legend too.

She looked at the master of Fairy Tail. "Master have you heard about this too."

"Yes, I remember hearing rumors about this. Apparently, whoever tried to cross the borders were never able to cross, because of its storms and tides that people couldn't possibly survive," the elder man said.

He whipped his head from Erza to me. "It's very shocking news that Lucy has this power, but what does this have to do with Lucy's condition," he inquired  with uncertainty. He had crossed his arms. His body language was something already that demanded answers.

He was small, but he was very intimidating.

"It might be a low chance. Either way, if we can go to the pirate arc, we could find a cure for Lucy's disease," I said. I was speaking the truth.

I would help Lucy even if we were not close friends. It benefited my research — yes, but Erza's friends were more important.

"Really!" Natsu exclaimed. He should be the most excited. I heard he was head over heels for Lucy. I heard it from Gildarts who ranted to me. Long story short, he was drunk after Cana and him had a supposed father and daughter competition. I ran into him and he started ranting, while I carried him to Fairy tail.

It was the only place I could take him. Plus, I had a chance to see Erza to-

Forget I said that!

"Maybe, just maybe we could save her." I nodded.