Chapter 2

Thankfully, work ended. I thought I'd never finish. I was so set on going home, I almost forgot to put my ax back in the warehouse. I walked towards the small room where they had the checkout machine and signed out my name. There. Work is all done. Then I remembered. Today is payday! I went back towards the machine, entered my name and password, then did a bunch of other things to get my money.

     The machine took a couple seconds and then gagged out my pay from a small opening at the bottom. It wasn't much, but I was so happy because now I can get something to celebrate the holidays with.

     I quickly got out of the warehouse and walked toward The Shack. The Shack is like a giant market where people trade, buy and sell just about anything you can think of. As I fast-walked, I made a list of things I needed to get. Some soap, a few little trinkets from Mr. Pawn for presents, maybe a good-sized groosling.

     As I thought, Daniel came up from behind me. "Hey."

     I grinned."Hi." I gave him a quick hug.

              " What are you getting?" he wondered.

   "Just a groosling and something to use as presents."

                           "Cool."

I could tell something was bothering him.

   "Soooo..." he trailed off. "What did Vince say this morning?" I hope I didn't blush.

 "Nothing," I lied. "Actually, he asked why I walked so slow and ."

     "Oh, so he walked with you."

   I sensed disappointment in his voice, most definitely wishing that it was him with me this morning.

I tried to act nonchalant. "Ya, but just briefly. We were almost to work when he caught up to me. And... then he he asked me why I was so late to work."

    "Ya, I can see how that would make you laugh." He said sarcastically. I sighed and shrugged it off. I wasn't going to let his mood get to me. What was wrong with him? I mean, he doesn't have to be jealous of Vince. He already knows I picked him over Vince. And I can have other guy friends, right?

   Danny breathed heavily, and I saw the wisp of cold air come from his mouth. The temperature was dropping rapidly. "By the way," he asked. "What did Thread say to you?"

     "Oh no," I stopped dead in my tracks, and I felt the color drain from my face.

      "What!?" Danny grabbed my shoulders intensely."Are you okay? You turned pale for a second.."

 "Thread," I stammered. "I was supposed to meet him right after work. He's surely going to punish Vince and I now. I was supposed to be there! And Vince is going to get harmed because of me!" I started to breathe harder.

  Daniel stuttered, "It's going to be okay. We'll explain to him that you forgot, and came back as soon as you remembered." He grabbed my hand and pulled me back toward the warehouse. "C'mon, let's go."