Chapter 27 - Insecurities

"What? We are going to attend a party tonight? And you are telling this to me now? How am I supposed to get ready? I don't have enough time." Vennela panicked.

"You need more than ten hours?" Amar asked incredulously.

"You men just comb your hair and apply perfume. Women need to select a perfect dress for the occasion. Then some matching accessories. We need a lot of time to finalize the type of makeup. And then we have to start working. Half an hour for face makeup, another half an hour for eye makeup. The hair dressing will take 20 - 30 minutes because if we don't get it right the entire look will be ruined." Vennela wanted everything to be perfect.

"Sweetheart, calm down. You don't need all these things. You look beautiful just the way you are." Amar served breakfast. He observed that she wasn't eating.

"I have never attended parties like this before. What if I do something wrong that makes you feel embarrassed? I don't want you to regret taking me with you." Vennela felt insecure.

"Never say that again. Nothing you say or do will embarrass me. Just be who you are. I don't need a conduct certificate for my wife from anyone." Amar tried to ease her mind.

"Akka, your look for the party will be perfect. The immensely talented Shruthi will style you herself." Shruthi assured her. Vennela felt relieved.

Anirudh lowered his voice and spoke to Shruthi. "Whatever you do, don't use hair extensions or attachments." Shruthi felt her cheeks go red.

"Come with me." Amar held her hand and took her to their room. He gave her a box. "The moment I saw this I knew this was made for you."

She opened the box to find a beautiful and elegant red dress with perfect length and design. "Wow. This is great." She admired it. "Thank you."

"You may now gift me the watch you bought for me. You don't have to hide it," said Amar.

"You know?! Sorry, I felt nervous every time I thought of giving it to you. I bought it from my savings. It's not that expensive." Vennela was unsure whether he would like it.

"That stopped you from gifting it to me? Remember the first gift I've given you? It was just a bunch of lotus flowers." Amar found her reason very silly.

Vennela gave him the box. He opened it with childish enthusiasm and wore the watch. "It looks good."

"It's because my husband wore it" said Vennela. "You know, I didn't throw the lotus flowers away. They are safe in my old text book." 

Amar was overjoyed to hear this. He hugged her.

---***---

The sisters started getting ready from 4 pm. They took almost two hours. When they looked at themselves in the mirror, they were elated. "Is this really me?" asked Vennela. Shruthi, who wore a green knee length dress, answered. "You are looking like a queen."

"And you are my princess." They hugged each other.

Vennela wore stilettos for the first time in her life. Her feet hurt. But it was worth it. She practiced a bit to walk without tripping.

Amar was impatient. "Why are they taking so long?"

"It seems my anna can't wait to look at his wife." Anirudh was playing games on Amar's phone. Amar snatched it.

At that moment, he saw an extremely gorgeous woman descending the stairs gracefully. His jaw dropped. He walked up to her and held her hand. "Never knew moonlight could be so hot" said Amar, making Vennela chuckle.

"Shall we leave?" Amar asked Anirudh, who didn't answer. "Rudy, I'm talking to you. What are you looking at-- oh, okay."

Anirudh was staring at Shruthi who was descending the stairs. Amar looked at Vennela unsure of how she would react. But she was smiling. "Someone tell me what's happening." Amar was confused.