Sophia

Gerald's house was big, it didn't have any storeys though. It was like a massive bungalow. Eight bedrooms, a gym, a theatre, a garden almost the size of a whole other building and thirteen workers in all.
Nate and the twins had been there four days. As they got there on the first day, Gerald told Joe his butler to show them their rooms and also around the house.
"Get settled in,tomorrow's going to be a long one." Gerald said as they followed Joe with awe.
He showed them their individual rooms. Each room had only one bed- sorry one jumbo-sized bed, a couch, a plasma TV mounted on the wall, a large wardrobe divided into more parts than usual, and pretty much every other thing in a normal bedroom. But bigger and even more. Her and Liv took the rooms beside each other while Nate took the one just 3 feet across theirs. They all dropped their stuff and continued the little tour.
Later that day Martha called them out for Dinner. They had grilled Zucchini and Pesto Pizza. That was the first time any of them tasted Zucchini. It was so... wicked.
"Gerald, this is so good" Nate said, beating her to it.
"Glad you like it"
"Like? I freaking love it". She blurted out. And there it came.
Nate's glare.
Immediately she knew she had said something out of place.
"I mean, it's really nice". She corrected herself.
"Well I can't take the credit" Gerald said with a giggle. "That'll be Martha. She's like the best cook I know considering I know quite a hand full.
You know, your mother could cook too." He added after a short while. They all looked up at him, frozen.
That was the first thing they'd heard about their mother.
"Eat up and get some sleep. Like I said, tomorrow is going to be a long day." Gerald said getting up and leaving the table. They followed suit and went to their rooms.

She laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to take her away. Wait a minute ... it's like the room grew bigger over dinner. God this room is BIG. She said in her head.
After a while, she became tired of waiting so she decided to check on Nate and Liv.
It was like Liv and her were thinking the exact same thing. They both came out of their rooms the same time so they just went to Nate's room. It was just across the hallway. They did that all the time when they were scared or sad back at the orphanage.
"What's wrong? Are you guys okay?" Nate asked, absent mindedly.
"Yeah, fine." Liv said.
"Are YOU okay? You seem to be thinking about something or someone". Sophie said with a weird smile.
"It's just Sarah, I didn't tell her we were leaving."
"Oh, I see. Liv said with the same weird smile. "You worry too much Nate. Besides, you'll see her in school on Monday." Sophie added.

Sarah's Nate's 'Bestfriend'- at least that was how it started. But now, not so sure. She lives some blocks away from the orphanage but she comes over all the time. He always talks about her like they just met or something. They know they like eachother but just don't want to admit it. "Ugrh! I'm sick of it". She said in her head.

***

She found herself on Nate's bed the next morning, Liv beside her and Nate on the couch. They were both smiling.
"What time is It?" She asked yawning and wiping her face.
"3pm." Liv answered
"What!"
Nate started laughing. "Its 7:36"
"Oh! Thank God." She said with relief.
I must have fallen asleep last night. She thought.
"Kids?" Martha called from the hallway. "It's time for Breakfast."
Sophie jumped off the bed and bolted to the dining table. She was a bit famished which was surprising 'cos she ate quite alot last night. Anyway, no time to question nature.
She was hit by this breathtaking scent of cinnamon waffles on my way to the table. Martha really IS an Awesome cook.
"Morning kids" Gerald greeted.
"Morning". They said almost at the same time.
"Hope you guys slept well."
"Yeah, great" Nate spoke for all of them.

After breakfast, Gerald told them everything about their parents. Their Mum was actually Canadian and Dad was British.
Wow! What a couple.
Their father was a Neurosurgeon. He was well-known according to Gerald. And their mother was an Accountant.
They both died in a plane crash on their way back from Cape Verde. Their Mum went as a consultant and Dad went for a surgery. It was like the universe wanted them dead. Same country?
Same day?
That couldn't have just been a coincidence right.

They took a lunch break then continued. It took about seven hours before the story ended.
Nate was rather quiet throughout. Didn't really ask questions or make comments. Just sat and listened.
"Sorry to ask Gerald but why don't you have a family of your own." Liv asked.
"It's okay, well you see Olivia, being a family man is quite stressful." He said.
"Not that I don't want a wife and kids, I just don't think i can handle it all." He added.
And with that they called it a day and vacated to their rooms.

***

VOTE...

COMMENT...

SHARE...

Hope you liked it.

Thanks for reaching this far.