As Clear As Crystal Cheryl Rao

Fifteen-year-old Hemant threw the pebble viciously into the pond. He did not care that he could have hit the fish his father loved to watch when he sat outside on the rolling lawns. All that luxury and the old man was turning into a skinflint! Thrice this month he had refused to give him more than fifty rupees when usually he just handed over his purse to Hemant to help himself! 

What could he do with fifty rupees? He had promised the gang a treat at the movies. He looked at his watch. Just another half-hour before the booking opened and no way to put together the cash for five tickets. What should he do?

 Suddenly, a fragment of his mother's conversation with a friend ran across his mind. "I have collected this crystal from all over the world and it is my pride and joy." 

What a great idea! Hemant jumped up and sneaked back into the house. There was no one in the living room. He picked up the first piece of crystal he saw—a tall vase—and made off with it. 

Hemant arrived at the theatre after the other four boys. Panting, but pleased, he grandly pulled out the four hundred he had got for the vase and peeled off a hundred rupee note for the tickets. Akash, Arjun and Rohit took it for granted that he should pay. Only Gaurav, whose father supplied steel to Hemant's father's factory, felt a bit awkward. He would have preferred to buy his own ticket but he had seen how annoyed Hemant got if he suggested it, so instead he bought two packets of chips to pass around as they watched the movie. Hemant was relieved that he did not need to spend any more money. The remaining three hundred would see him through the next few days. 

The missing vase was not noticed for almost a week. By then, Hemant had helped himself to an ashtray and a three-cornered bowl as well. "That is strange," commented Mrs Khanna. "Where did I keep the gladioli vase?"

 She questioned the household staff, but no one seemed to know anything and Hemant, who was listening, just pretended he was reading. When the sixth piece disappeared, Mrs Khanna could no longer take it lightly. "You must call everyone and question them," she said to her husband.

 "I have no time for that," he replied. "My hands are full with the factory and the labour there." 

His father had not mentioned it at home, but he had big problems at work. Huge payments (for items his factory had manufactured and supplied) were held up because a defect had come to light, and he was finding it difficult to keep going. The manufacturing process had to be looked into and fresh supplies made. Labour had to be paid or they would go on strike. He did not share his worries with his family because he did not want them to think that his business was collapsing.

 Hemant did not ask his father for more money for an entire month, but Mr Khanna did not give much thought to that. Mrs Khanna, on the other hand, was not going to let go of her crystal that easily. She began keeping track of the number of pieces she had and made sure she arranged them in such a way that even one empty space would be noticed. Hemant did not have a chance to pinch any more of his mother's collection to acquire spending money for himself. 

"Let us go for the Daler Mehndi show next Saturday," suggested Akash and Arjun, when the gang was together. They were confident Hemant would, as usual, manage to get the expensive tickets for them. Rohit's eyes shone at the thought. He fancied himself as a singer and wanted to become another Daler himself! 

Gaurav shook his head. "No, I cannot come. My parents will not allow me to go for a late night show like that." 

Hemant did not say anything. He had a sinking sensation in his stomach. He knew he could never ruffle up the money for the tickets.

 Gaurav saw the look on Hemant's face and suddenly recalled the conversation he overheard between his parents a couple of nights ago.

 "Arrey," replied Akash. "Hemant's father always gets such things for us. He can afford it. What is a couple of thousands for him?"