Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Famous model, actress, singer, and idol Misa Misa committed suicide yesterday at 7:30 p.m. According to witnesses, she was seen walking the streets of Japan earlier that day while singing. Misa Amane was seen wearing all black and said to have a blank, haunted, unhappy expression and air to her. A rumor has spread that says she committed suicide due to the death of Kira; she was a known Kira supporter and follower. In order to end her life, Misa walked off the top of Teito Hotel, a large and well known skyscraper. Some information that we were able to pull up on the idol is that Misa's family was murdered before her eyes. That is horrible and would affect any one mental, physically, and lemotionally... A mass funeral will be held for the beloved and worshiped model on..." the reporter said with a stern expression.

Thunder sounded and echoed through you apartment after lightning flashed, briefly lighting the room. In the corner of your television was a picture of the vibrant girl with her long blonde hair in two pigtails. Her green eyes stared happily at you from behind all her make-up and a huge smile was on her face. A sigh escaped your lips as you picked up the television remote and hit the off button.

"No more of that," you grumbled to yourself and stood from your comfy place on the couch. This morning you had waken earlier than usual, and very little light crept into your living room through your curtains. All that could be heard was the ticking of your grandfather clock, rain hitting the roof of your apartment, and thunder. You peered around your empty apartment before sighing.

"Will things ever get better in the world?" you asked aloud as you made your way into the kitchen with your now empty coffee mug. The huge Kira case had been ended by L and it was announced that Yagami Light had been Kira and had contributed to the horrifying and terrifying crime. You were relieved that all of that was over but still only bad events seemed to turn up on the radio, television, and news papers. The world just couldn't seem to recover after the whole Kira case. You turned the knob and began washing the mug as you stared out the window above your sink. The sound of your cell phone ringing caught you off guard since you had been so deep in thought and the mug slipped from your wet hands and to the floor with a loud crash while shattering.

"Shoot!" you snapped and looked down at your bare feet, not able to move due to fear of stepping on glass. Very slowly and with care, you squatted down and scooped the pieces of glass into your hands as your cell phone continued to ring. Your ___ colored eyes glanced towards the noisy electronic and you stood, tossing the pieces of glass into a trash can.

"Ouch!" you said with a gasp as one of the pieces cut into your hand. Quickly you shoved your hand under the water that was still running in the sink and you took deep calming breaths. You cell phone stopped ringing, and instead a beeping sound was emitted, signaling to you that whoever had called had just left you a message. With your uninjured hand, you turned the water off and pressed a towel to your injured hand to stop and slow the bleeding before wrapping it carefully with bandage wrap.

"That was my favorite mug," you grumble unhappily. Slowly you clenched and unclenched your fists, wincing each time. After shaking your head, you snatched the phone off of the counter and check the caller ID to see just who had called; you didn't recognize the number at all. Slowly you pressed the phone to your ear so that you could listen to the message.

"Hello ____ ____, your help is needed, you will not be able to reach me on this number after you listen to your message so if you agree to help me on my case then you can reach me at 832-465-9987... this is L," a synthetic voice said into your ear. You had worked as a private investigator for years but you couldn't believe someone such as L, a great and widely known detective would call you.

'Could it just be a prank?' you thought and moved the phone away from your ear. Many of your friends liked to pull pranks and such, but none of them were crazy or stupid enough to pose as L... so that meant this was really him...? Slowly you hit play and listened to the message again, this time writing down the phone number that was given.