Prologue

My paws moved lightly over the forest floor as I moved rapidly between the trees, running so fast it felt as though I were practically floating. I could both hear and sense my pursuer closing the distance between us even as I pushed myself to run as fast as I possibly could.

My dark red fur was standing on end in fright as the larger animal quickly closed in on me and I realized I had no other choice: there was only one way I could escape without revealing my true identity. I saw my chance as a large fallen tree came into view and I headed straight for it, hoping I was only imagining the hot breath on my neck.

When I reached the log I gathered myself as if to leap over it but instead ducked into its branches at the last second as my pursuer dove overhead and I heard the snap of its powerful jaws.

I immediately bolted back in the opposite direction and leaped on to a low tree branch with ease when I knew I was out of sight of the other predator. I scaled the tree almost like a squirrel and then froze near the top, my frantically beating heart and quiet pants starting to slow as I searched for signs of my pursuer.

A flash of mottled grey fur caught my eye then and I held my breath as the huge wolf slowly stalked past my tree, sniffing around to try and catch my scent which I had already concealed. I listened as the wolf moved off slowly and I finally turned and leaped from the tree, changing from a terrified red fox into a large and magnificent hawk in mid-air and quickly soared away.