Chapter 9

"Whoa, did you guys see the news? Chat Noir and a new superhero stopped a bank robbery today," Alix said aloud, watching the streaming video from her smartphone alongside Max and Kim.

The video footage showed the aftermath of a harrowing car chase down a busy strip of morning traffic in the downtown district.  A group of masked robbers were being detained, while reporters clamored to record the boasting black cat and an excited amber/white clad fox.  A reporter rushed to the fox, pushing his microphone towards her and requested her name, to which she proudly shared.

"My name is Rena Rouge.  I promise to do my best to help keep Paris safe; I hope I do half as good a job as LadyBug."

Chat Noir waited for his mention at the end of the sentence, motioning for her to continue after an awkward silence.

"And Chat Noir, of course," Rena added with a teasing smile at the scowling cat.

The news about the new heroine in Paris spread like wildfire across the city that morning, and was the topic of discussion for all the students at the Collège Françoise Dupont. Alya ran into the school, quickly making her way to the lockers. Leaving her own locker, Marinette spotted her frazzled friend.

"I expect a snack this time," Trixx reminded her holder, letting out a yawn before retreating into the inner pocket of Alya's side bag.

"I know, I know....I'll grab something after first period," Alya promised her fox kwami in a hushed whisper.

Although this was her first time in real action, Alya and her kwami had been together for a little while now.  She had acquired the imbued foxtail necklace from Nino as an anniversary gift.  It didn't take long before she met the tiny orange and white fox kwami that bore out of the miraculous pendant.  But now that she intended in becoming an active superhero, Alya would have to be mindful of her kwami's urgent need for post-battle snacks.

"Hey Alya!  It's not like you to be late....did you oversleep?" Marinette approached her friend, just as she shut her side bag flap closed. 

Alya laughed a bit nervously. "Yeah, I forgot to set my alarm last night."

"Anyway, can we have a girls night out celebration or something?  I mean, it only took, like, four years but Adrienette is finally born!" Alya exclaimed.

"Keep it down!" Marinette playfully scolded her brunette friend.  "I don't want to be the talk of the school.  You know how popular he is, and how scary his fan club ....... and Chloé are," she explained, rolling her eyes at the last bit.

"I'll see if I can sneak away one of these nights soon, but with my deadline, and the bakery...," her sapphire eyes darted down in remorse. At this rate, she would not be able to keep her promise of spending as much time as possible with her best friend for her last months in Paris.

"It's okay, girl. We'll find some time soon to hang," Alya reassured her friend.

Her hazelnut eyes flickered over to a quickly approaching blonde debutante, joined by her girl servant, Sabrina.  "Uh oh, speaking of the devil...."

Chloé stood before the two girls, locking her glare onto Marinette. 

"Long time no see, huh Marinette?"

Marinette blinked, surprised that she was addressed by her name and not the derogatory "Maritrash" or "loser" she was accustomed to hearing from the mean girl.

"So, I hear you got dumped by Nathan, so sorry to hear about that.  But care to tell me why you were desperately grabbing onto Adrien during class?"

Sabrina gasped, then a smile creeped across her round face as she watched for the drama about to unfold from the bold accusation.

"What!  No, you're seeing things Chloé," Marinette quickly lied, her face beginning to redden with embarrassment.