chapter two

CHAPTER TWO

i reached the boardwalk in a matter of three minutes, expecting the others to be right behind me, but as i stood there for the next five minutes, nobody came. i frowned in confusion, wondering what happened, when i was tackled from behind, not hard enough to fall down though. i let out a scream, followed by laughter as i realized who tackled me.

"and you say you're fast," melody said, once i pushed her off of me. i turned around to face her and she was fake pouting and bringing her hand up to her eye to "rub the tears" away since i had lost. i shot her a playful glare in response.

"how the hell did you get here so fast?" i exclaimed. i ran faster than i ever had before, so sure i would beat them. i was very surprised to see all three of them here, holding bags of popcorn, finding out that none of them was for me once i tried to get some from addie and she moved her bag away.

"took the shortcut," addie said easily with a simple shrug of her shoulders. "you do know there's a shortcut, right?" she added, seeing the look on my face that clearly said that i had no idea there was a shortcut. since when was there a shortcut?

"what shortcut?" i said, as we starting walking down the boardwalk, heading towards the popcorn stand. "i have lived here for sixteen years, and i swear, there is no shortcut."

"oh, did i say shortcut?" addie said. "i meant we took corinna's car." i gave corinna an "are you kidding me" look, not believing the fact that i was outsmarted by them.

"looks like you have buy us dinner," corinna said in a sing-song voice, all smug and happy that she didn't have to pay a single penny.

"looks like you have to buy us dinner," i mocked, my voice all high, imitating corinna, and judging by the look on her face, she was offended.

"i don't talk like that!" she exclaimed, making everyone laugh, cause everyone knew it was true.

"i don't talk like that!" i imitated, once again, before paying for my bag of popcorn. corinna hit the side of my arm in response to me mocking her once again. "hey! you're gonna make me drop my popcorn!" i yelled, protecting my popcorn from corinna.

she clearly ignored what i said, since she turned her back on me, and asked addie and melody if they wanted to go down to the beach, and i rolled my eyes playfully. she had a short temper and tends to get mad easily, but we've all gotten use to it. she'll get over it shortly. we all agreed and started heading down to the ocean shore, taking our shoes off on the way.

"what happened to david?" i asked, slipping my flip-flops off and holding them in my hand. "have you seen him yet?" once i said this, everyone took a look around, before saying "no" simultaneously.

"he couldn't make it," corinna said, checking her texts. "sorry mel." she gave mel a pat on her arm, but mel brushed it off, telling us next time she'll do something about it. corinna put her stuff down on a patch of sand before yelling "you're it!" and slapping melody on the arm, taking off to the ocean, not caring about getting her jeans wet. everybody screamed as we dropped our stuff as well, and ran away from melody, towards the ocean, melody hot on our tails.

although we were sixteen/seventeen, we still had our childish streak that stuck with us since we were babies. people always tell us we were so childish since we laughed at the childish things, but it was what made our group unique and different than others. tag was a game that never got old, and we always played it for fun and as corinna says, "exercise". our tag game sooned turned into a splashing game, trying to get each other soaked, melody currently being the target as everyone splashed her. melody suddenly fell, slipping or tripping on something, falling into the ocean, causing laughs to erupt from everyone.