Chapter 13

"You could have been killed!"

"There were more than FIVE VEELAS!"

"ARE YOU INSANE DRACO?"

"What am I supposed to if you die?!"

"What were you thinking?!"

"You're NUTTERS, Malfoy, absolutely off your rocker!"

"We're trained Aurors! You're not! Your blood would have been on our hands!"

"That's right!"

Draco watched, wide eyed and smirking as his mother, Kestral, Harry and Ron paced around each other or stood, arms crossed- randomly pointing fingers or wands and yelling, Narcissa's wings were poised for attack, as were Kestrals, having ruined yet another set of robes. Hermione sat beside him, humming as she wound bandages around the stumps where his wings had been and healed other wounds. She seemed to have tuned them out, and to be honest, so had Draco. He just sat there, letting Hermione tend to him, drinking the potions he'd picked out and letting them rage at him. It didn't take them long to fizzle out their rage and they all took their seperate seats, one at a time.

Kestral collapsed at his feet, leaning back on his legs and withdrawing her wings. Harry sat in the chair opposite him where Draco had sat the night before. Ron collapsed into another chair, arms crossed and glaring. Narcissa was the only one to remain standing, glaring down at him and he shrunk a bit beneath that glare.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy, please, tell me WHAT you were thinking?" she asked, her voice trembling. Draco didn't dare make eye contact, pulling Kestral into his lap.

"There were too many of them, Mother. Death Eaters too. I could have handled it without getting harmed this much- you know that."

"Then why didn't you?!" she snapped, hissing a bit. Draco winced.

"Because, Mother, they weren't attacking like they should. There was no formation, nothing. I could smell the Death Eaters, reeking of rotting flesh and all the hidden Veela, they easily outnumbered us but never attacked. Not once. They were obviously a brood but only one went to take revenge for her Chosen. I took her out second. They were scattered and chaotic, yet there was an organization to it- they taunted me. Called me," he paused, covering Kestral's ears tightly with his hands, "inpennatus several times, trying to get me to attack. They knew who I was, and who they were. It was like they were acting out a play- they have a plan." he released Kestral who glared and rolled her eyes.

"But what sort of plan?" Harry asked.

"And what does that word mean?" Ron added.

"It's like the word I used to use for Hermione but for a Veela. I don't know their plan but with that many there, they could have easily killed you both. Burned the shack to the ground before Hermione and I even finished our lunch."

"They didn't seem to react till you got there, Malfoy." Ron said.

"Because McCain knows me, he worked under Voldemort, went to school with us." Draco replied, trailing his fingers absentmindedly through Kestral's hair.

"They fought many times, before and after Draco lost his wings. He always lost, I don't know what he was thinking when he saw Draco. He should have fled," Narcissa said.

"I thought so too," Draco said, nodding, "I even gave them the option. Yet, they stayed."

"Why did you let them hurt you, Dragon?" Narcissa asked, concern written on her face.

"I was trying to take time, I wanted them to think they were winning, that I would fall. I was hoping to figure out their plan. No such luck though, they never uttered a word of it." Draco replied, glancing up to Ron and Harry, "did they mention anything in front of you two?"

"Just threats, called me Auror but they did say Harry's name over and over, his full name." Ron replied, looking over at Harry who nodded,

"that was it, till you two got there."

Draco scowled and seemed deep in thought, his hands stopping- entangled in Kestrals blonde curls. She glanced up at him, leaning her head all the way back and slowly falling to land against his chest, grinning. He smiled down at her.

"You think they're trying to capture Harry specifically?" Hermione asked. Draco looked back up at her.

"Yes and no. They are trying to catch him, he's Harry Potter, boy wonder. But if that was all it was, they'd have managed that before we got there... I'm not sure." Draco said, lifting Kestral and setting her on the floor before moving to the kitchen and pouring himself a glass of water.

"Who were they trying to get, then? You?" Ron asked. Harry nodded,

"you did say you've taken out several since this all started."

"They've never come for Draco before," Narcissa said, scoffing. Draco scowled thoughtfully.

"there's never been any left either," he sniffed the air suddenly and Narcissa and Kestral tensed, scenting the room's air as well. Harry, Ron and Hermione drew their wands- standing. Draco sniffed the air again, a low growl emitting from his chest.

"What is it?" Harry asked, glancing around. Nothing seemed different and he couldn't smell anything. The bell above the door in the shop could be heard going off. Draco bristled, snarling.

"Get. Rid. Of. Her." he bit out, his fangs showing.

"Uncle-" Kestral began.

"You hush! You have no part in this. Mother. Get her out of my home."

"Draco- you should talk." Narcissa said softly and they heard voices approaching. She held out her hand, waving the others to put their wands down and relax, "she's your friend."

"She's a traiterous bitch!" Draco snapped, turning toward the door. It opened slightly and in walked a very pretty girl none of them recognized. Kestral rushed forward with a cry but Draco snatched her up, depositing her into her room quickly and waving his wand to lock it. She was kicking the door in protest, screaming. So he cast a silencing charm as well.

"You should probably go," Narcissa said, crossing the room and placing her hand on the girls shoulder. Behind her stood another wizard, just inside the shop.

"I came to talk to Draco," she replied, her eyes down, "I- I thought he'd like to meet my Chosen, maybe... invite him to be a part of the brood. He's still my Caput, our leader... and my friend?" she phrased the last bit like a question, glancing up at Draco who was just leaned against Kestral's door, his back turned to them. He stiffened visibly and spun,

"I am *nothing* to you, you traiterous bitch!" He yelled before spinning and storming off, slamming another door behind him. She looked crestfallen.

"At least he didn't attack you," Narcissa said, standing aside and allowing the girl in. Behind her was Neville Longbottom.

"Oi! Neville! How goes it mate?!" Ron said, standing to shake Neville's hand. Harry turned from looking at Draco's closed door to do the same, grinning. Hermione hugged him.

"You lot look rough!" Neville said, smiling at his friends.

"It's been a long day," Hermione said, grinning around at everyone. Harry sighed,

"You must be Millicent Bulstrode, my you've changed!" Harry said, grinning and shaking her hand. She smiled.

"Yeah, Draco helped with that. Lost a lot of weight, and I'm Veela." she replied. Harry glanced toward the door.

"Yeah, I think I'm going to try to talk to him, I'll let you lot catch up."

"Leave me alone!" Draco yelled back, having heard them with his Veela hearing. Harry rolled his eyes and went toward the door.

"Do be careful, Harry, he's cranky." Narcissa said, smiling before she offered the newcomers a seat and some tea. Harry just nodded and slipped inside, closing the door behind him.