Two

I wake up before the sun rises. I'm shaking from a horrendous nightmare. I dreamed of gray hands with long fingers and sharp dirty nails. I dreamed of long, slimy dark purple tongues. I dreamed of dead gray eyes and bleeding fearful eyes. I dreamed of blood stained clothing and bruised necks. I dreamed of a silent and painful death. I drag my tired body over to the window and gaze out of it. The sun was beginning to peak over the horizon. It shines through the snow covered pine trees and fills my vision with many shades of orange and red. The pale blue morning sky was clear, not a fluffy white cloud in sight. I walk -more like stumble- down the stairs and meet Papa downstairs. Something's not right.

     "Where's Mama?" He looks at me with contempt. His age was clear. Sixty-two was written clear on his face. Wrinkles dominated his face, and the pale gray patches stood out from his black hair.

    "Why don't you ask Anjo?" His voice is cold and full of envy. I don't bother putting on my cloak and in my tiredness I didn't notice I had gone to sleep with my boots on. I trudge through the snow, which was up to about five inches from what I could tell. Anjo was a friend of Mama's at work. I had met him before, but we had never really spoken, apart from greetings. I walk on the main path to his house, and knock on his door. His house was a clay color with a dark red door and no windows. The door is swung open, and Anjo is standing right in front of me. He looks about thirty-nine. He seems to be about seven feet tall.

    "Are you looking for your mother?" He kneels down to my height. I nod, and he shakes his head indicating she isn't there. I feel my heart sink and I turn around to walk home, my feet dragging on the ground.

     I open the door and let it swing shut behind me when I walk in.

    "Don't close the door like that! Was your mom there?!" Papa walks into the room with a cup of warm water and hands it to me. "Your lips are turning blue, why didn't you wear your cloak?" I don't answer and continue sipping on my water. Once I was finished, I put my cup in the sink and walk to my room. I was only out for a few hours. I don't know why I'm so tired. I meant to head home after I went to Anjo's, but instead I went over to the big seamstress shop and looked at the embroidered dresses. There were roses of all colors and beautiful birds in flight. Looking at the birds being free made me feel freed from all issues. From the arguing at home. From Papa's yelling and ridicule. From Mama missing. From everything.  I kick off my boots this time and climb into bed. I drift off into a dreamless sleep. 

One Week Later

Mama still hasn't been back in a week.

     "Papa, why don't we send out a search party? I'm becoming worried." He rolls his eyes and takes a sip of coffee.

    "Do you actually miss that little perfidious snake?" He wasn't going to do anything. He despises her guts. I can see why. She's unfaithful. But she's still my Mama. It's decided. I'll go looking for her tomorrow. I will find my Mama.