Something's Wrong

"Rei?"

Shifting slightly, I slowly raise my head in a daze. My body feels raw, cold and stiff. On top of that, an almost unbearable throbbing sensation is emitting from the left side of my neck. Groaning in discomfort, I open my eyes.

Blinking a couple of times, I let my eyes adjust to the harsh light overhead. The cool touch of metal against the balls of my fingertips helps me come to my senses. My mind relives everything that's happened to me. I come to the realization that it's all over.

I've gotten my tattoo. With a shaky hand, I reach towards the throbbing spot on my neck.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

My hand freezes. Turning my head in a awkward fashion, I'm met with the man in the suit from before. How did I not notice him. Frowning in confusion, I stare up at the man before managing to utter quietly,

"Why are you here? Aren't you suppose to be bringing the next patient in to get their tattoo?"

"I would be, but ..."

The man pauses and doesn't say anything. Worry gnaws at the pit of my stomach and I blurt out,

"But what?"

"Well, Rei, the machine we had operate on you had a huge malfunction while performing its duty on you. Luckily, a boy name Grayson noticed something wrong whilst observing and notified us immediately. Unfortunately, the machine was so messed up that we couldn't control it, let alone stop it. You're lucky you weren't put to sleep permanently."

Jaw dropped, I stare up at the man, unsure what to do or say. Was he telling me that I could've died. A picture of myself lying lifelessly on the operating table passes through my mind, sending a shiver down my spine. With a pinched voice, I ask the man,

"What caused this malfunction. I thought these things were suppose to be a hundred percent safe?!"

"I've been informed that someone had planted a virus into the machine's system. You've been out like a light for six hours straight and most of us assumed you were a goner Rei. It's a miracle you're still alive young lady. "

He gives me a warm smile, but I don't return it. There was still more thing I need to know.

"Tell me a bit about this virus. Was it planted in the machine for me and me only?"

"From what I've heard, it was set up to activate on the person who got the same test results as the person who planted it. We've got no idea who could've done it, but we are ninety nine percent sure that it wasn't planted in the system specifically for you Rei."

"Are you gonna bring anyone else in to get their tattoos today?"

"Of course not! We can't risk losing any lives. Most people's body wouldn't have been able to handle the drug like yours did Rei."

"Sorry, that was kind of a stupid question."

"Damn right it was!"

"Okay sorry, um I only have one more question."

Squirming nervously on the metal surface, I sigh anxiously,

"Um, what is my tattoo?"

The man's face turns solemn instantly and he inhales deeply,

"Rei, I'm sure you know that all tattoos revolve around life. Most tattoo's are of animals or plants, but occasionally there is some sort of object that also revolves around life."

If I'm being honest, I didn't know anything about that, but now I do. Now that I think about it, I've never met anyone who hadn't had a tattoo linked to life somehow. I wonder where this conversation is leading?