Chapter Four

Christmas morning

I woke up this morning to Brendon unlocking my door. 

"Hey, Fae! Merry Christmas!" I saw that he had a bag with him.

"Merry Christmas." I rolled my eyes. He furrowed his eyebrows and walked over to me.

"What's wrong?" He questioned.

"What's wrong? It's Christmas and I'm stuck in a psychiatric ward!" I shoved my face in my pillow. Brendon sat on the bed and stroked my back.

"I got you something!" He cheered. I rolled over and smiled.

"I wanna see!" I beamed.

"Alright! Here!" He passed me the bag. I looked at him and smiled, then looked in the bag.

"Clothes? Really? Why buy me them if I can't even go outside?!" I snapped. Brendon took the bag back and placed his hands on his hips.

"Well... I could just give them back..." He sassed.

"No gimme! I love them!" I reached my arms out to grab them. He laughed and handed me the bag.

"Thank you! It means a lot." I got up and hugged him.

"No problem! Now! Let's go to the kitchen and make our own food! Food that you can have!" He smiled. I nodded and continued to hug him.

"You do a lot for me. I can't thank you enough..." I teared up.

"I just care a lot about you!" He rubbed my back.

"Okay! I wanna change into my clothes! Turn around!" I ordered. Brendon turned around and tapped his foot. I pulled out a white and black flannel and a pair of dark blue skinny jeans. I slid them on and put on the new converse he gave me.

"Tadaa!" He turned around and raised his eyebrow.

"You look very nice in those!" He chuckled. I smiled and hugged him again.

"Thank you..." I looked up to meet eyes with him.

"You know, I'm not supposed to buy you things," He whispered.

"Why not?" I asked. He bent down so he was a little bit shorter than I was, considering I was only five inches shorter than him.

"It's just a rule. But I mean, I don't care. It's kinda rude to have the rule in place. You're a human as much as I am. You're practically the same as me, just that you're younger, prettier, a woman, and diagnosed with bipolar disorder and depression. It's not a big deal... not at all." He kissed my forehead and grabbed my hand.

"Now let's start making food! You can show all the other people your new clothes." Brendon skipped playfully.

"I'm the only one my age, no one's gonna care," I said flatly.

"Hey! What do you mean?" He questioned, his voice going soft.

"Are you kidding me? Brendon, everyone here is f**king old!" I whispered.

"Language!" He scolded.

"Sorry, it just fell out." I apologized. Now I felt weird. Brendon always affected my moods.

"It's fine, just don't do it again." He gave my hand a light squeeze.

"So, what do you usually eat for Christmas?" He intrigued.

"I don't know! I never ate on Christmas. My parents didn't even notice, they just suspected their daughter with depression to eat all the food." Brendon's eyes widened.

"So you never ate food when you guys had Christmas?" He seemed so confused.

"Well, when I did eat the food I was too little to remember. I stopped eating at like eight years old." I told him.

"Okay, well..." he was stumped.

"Okay! I got it! Do you like garlic bread?" He asked. I nodded and he smiled.

"Turkey?"

"Yeah!" Now this sounded good.

"Stuffing?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"You don't know what stuffing is?!" He chuckled. We walked into the kitchen and sat for a moment.

"Well, I mean I know what it is, I just never eaten it before. Or at least, that I recall." I stated.

"Hmm, well, I don't really know how to explain it, but I know that you'll love it! Any desserts or other foods?" He asked. I quickly pondered in that.

"Oh! I know! Meatballs... maybe?" I balanced on my heels.

"Sure! Of course! And, maybe, we can make a lava cake!" He exclaimed. I tilted my head in confusion.

"What's a lava cake?" I questioned. He chuckled and got up.

"It's a miniature chocolate cake, but there's there's like melted fudge in the middle." He tried to explain.

"Sounds good! Let's get to cooking! What takes the longest time?" He look through what we had in the kitchen, and pulled out everything that was gluten free, that we could use.

"I'd say the turkey." He stated. I nodded and watched him pull up a recipe on his phone.

"Alright! Can you read the instructions on how to cook the turkey?" He asked politely. I nodded and took his phone. He closed the door and locked it, making it so we were out of sight to everyone.

"Okay, it says here to place the bird in a roasting pan and to preheat the oven to three fifty degrees." Brendon started pressing buttons on the oven as I got out a roasting pan. I put the bird on the pan and looked over at Brendon.

"What next?"

"Cook the turkey for one hour and roast until the skin is a light golden colour and then cover the turkey, loosely, in tin foil to prevent further broiling." I looked back at Brendon.

"Alright, so while we wait for the oven, I think we should make the meatballs. You can eat meat, right?" He questioned.

"Lemme see the ingredients just to make sure." Brendon passed me the pack of beef, and I quickly scrolled through the list.

"I'm good," I passed it back. He nodded and opened it up. We both washed our hands and got to cooking.

~~~

"Great! All we need is to take the bread out of the oven!" Brendon cheered. I smiled and hugged him.

"Thanks! No one would ever do this with me..." I looked down.

"Aww! I would do anything for you! I'd consider you my child." He chuckled, rubbing my back.

"I love you!" I squeezed him tighter.

"I love you too!" He kissed the top of my head. The oven beeped and Brendon and I were forced to break the hug.

"Here... lets go to your room now!"