How Naive We Were

Update written by: TwinziHasan

Hello my beautiful Gems!

Today I'll be sitting down, sipping some coffee while chatting with you all about how stupid Raneem and I were.
.
.
I mean Raneem. I'm the smart twin XD

Now for those who don't know, Raneem and I were raised in good old California.

Sunny days

In-N-Out

No rain

Droughts

No rain

Natural fires

And still no rain

What a wonderful place for going to school and socializing with others. But after the fourth grade, we moved to Jordan for the first time and lived there for two years. Spending my fifth and sixth grade there.

And let me tell you something... Oh no, I don't want to scream.

*whispers* come closer love, let me tell you a secret about my two years in Jordan.

IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Why? Well okay to be honest the school wasn't bad. It was a good school but guess what, it was a super religious school.

As in, don't walk by a boy, you'll get pregnant kind of school. Yes that strict.

Now I have nothing against it. I actually love it and I'm finishing my last year of high school in it but the 10 year old me, coming from America and not being allowed to make eye contact with a boy was confused.

I remember my first day, I was in lunch and I was walking towards a table filled with guys and two girls pulled me away thinking I was crazy.

The system is so different from the one in America. The classes were separated so girls and boys were learning separately. I honestly didn't care and I don't to this day, after all I'm going to school to learn and not to flirt with some guy.

But I didn't realize how naive I was until I finished my 6th grade and moved back to America to study in middle school.

EVERYTHING WAS CHAOS FOR RANEEM AND I.

In our school in Jordan, we were so used to being separated and not communicating with guys, that once we went back to California, we were like scarred kittens.

I remember going into my first class after being separated from guys for so long, I forgot what the definition of 'friends' meant.

What do I mean, you ask?

Well here's what goes through mind if a guy approaches me.

*sees a non-female human being walking towards me*

*begins to panic*

*must not make eye contact. I'm too young to get pregnant*

*OH NO HE'S OPENING HIS MOUTH*

*should I act like I don't see him?*

*should I sit down and try to get him to leave his evil ways?*

*OH NO! HE'S THREE FEET AWAY FROM ME. WHAT DO I DO?*

*should I slap him with my holy book and ask God to forgive me?*

"Hey, can I borrow a pencil?"

*oh he's definitely into me*

I swear I'm not exaggerating... Ok maybe a little.

Raneem and I probably went the whole 7th grade liking so many guys...WHY? Because if they asked for a pencil or said hello then we thought they were into us.

YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO TWO YEARS WITHOUT INTERACTING WITH A GUY?

You lose your mind thinking that every boy's falling head over heals with you when in reality THE POOR BOY JUST WANTS A DAMN PENCIL!

I remember the first day of the 7th grade, a guy sitting next to Raneem in her English class kept on asking her why she was so quiet. She stayed the whole period ignoring him while in her head she was panicking because GOD FORBID THAT!

Later that day, she walked up to me and was like,

"Oh he totally likes me."

Lol I cringe every time I remember those days. Obviously the months went by and eventually we got used to having so many non-female human beings around us.

So beware my little naive female readers who are moving to a place where it is surrounded by males who want nothing to do with you. It's okay to pee your pants in the beginning.

12 year-old Raneem and Rua went through it too.

But let me tell you one thing I learned after moving back to America.

Making eye contact in fact doesn't get you pregnant.

Holding hands does.

-Rua