Lighting Up The Night

Lighting Up The Night - A Lieutenant Commander's Account

Lieutenant Commander James Greene clambered into the cockpit of his T-A30 jet; equipped with all the technologies of the twenty-fourth century. At the rear two pulse jet engines allowed lightweight thrust, as well as an improved efficiency, with a breakthrough made in the twenty-third century to improve the compression ratio of the engine. This resulted in a lightweight easy moving plane, but with the power to reach high speeds.

On the underside of the stealth-black carbon fibre body several struts held the napalm bombs, released only by manual control in the cockpit. As a defence precaution two Z-LR heat seeking missiles were positioned on each aerodynamic wing, using tracking technology to follow it's target almost anywhere, with a small engine on it's rear. Also a heavy machine gun dropped down from beneath the cockpit, and could obliterate a target accurately in seconds.

It also had a lithium rod behind the tires, allowing less wear and tear from the electromagnetic catapults used to fire the jets from carriers positioned in the seas and oceans, much more powerful and efficient than the old steam catapults previously used on aircraft carriers.

James Greene flicked several switches, and a satisfying noise sounded from the pulse jet engines. He taxied out and led the line of fighter pilots, increasing speed along the lit-up runway and pulled the joystick back and eased the streamlined nose up into the dark sky.

When he had levelled up at a steady altitude he disregarded the night vision monitor, it wasn't necessary the island of Barros lit up like a Christmas tree below him.

"Come in Napalm-Leader?" The digital radio sparked into life, sending radio waves into James's wireless headphones.

"This is Napalm-Leader," James acknowledged "ETA forty seconds," he said, noting the heads-up-display on his goggles.

"We're in formation behind you Napalm-Leader," one of the other pilots sounded

"Follow my lead Napalm-One," James banked hard right and began a slight decent.

As he approached the centre of Barros at over the speed of sound James released his first Napalm bombs, and soon it had exploded violently below, lighting up the dark night sky, and beginning the large scale attack on the unprepared island of Barros.

***

The Government issued battle ship 'The Fearless' powered out of it's dock at the Halfdale Harbour, and headed out into the open waters of the straight of Cornio.

The night was pitch-black, not a star twinkled in the sky, only an eerie full moon offered a soft white pool of light. Up above ten T-A30 jets roared by, beginning the napalm strikes across the west of Baross.

Soon the island was lit up in a blaze of bright oranges and yellows; the napalm igniting almost any material it came into contact with. Responding to this as a cue The Fearless moved into the straight of Cornio, and drifted toward the coastline of Baross.

On deck the crew helped to ready the heat seeking and surface-to-air missiles equipped onboard. Grenade launchers and fixed machine gun turrets dotted the iron railings. This battleship was over prepared for the weak island of Barros.

The sounds of screaming and utter chaos emanated from the island, the napalm fires causing extreme damage. Their duty done the T-A30 jets roared back over their heads and began to decent into Teasdale.

Notifying that everything was going to plan Captain Parnell made radio transmission to the island.

"This is Parnell to Government Safe House; we are in position and the napalm strike has been successful, repeat, we are in position and the napalm strike was successful."

"Roger that captain," the clipped tone of Gray Steels sounded on the radio "proceed with stage two."

"Roger that sir, Parnell out."

Parnell placed the radio down, and turned to his second in command "Taylor," he gestured him over "ready the men; we're into stage two."