ACT 1 ↴

" YOU ASKED ME IF I MISSED YOU.
I SAID,
HOW COULD I MISS SOMETHING
THAT WASN'T EVEN THERE
IN THE FIRST PLACE. "

[0. MAY 27, 1983]

THE ONLY THING RAE CAN HEAR over the sound of the teenagers in her once pristine living room, is the scolding of her older brother next to her

THE ONLY THING RAE CAN HEAR over the sound of the teenagers in her once pristine living room, is the scolding of her older brother next to her. Matias Palomo had graduated only the year previous and was visiting for the first few weeks of summer break. He wanted the peace and quiet that usually came with the small town of Hawkins, Indiana, but was instead greeted with his kid sister throwing an irresponsible party.

Rae just wanted to impress a boy (not that Matias knew that) and finally get up the courage to talk to him. She had gotten her parents to leave a few days early so the house would be free on Friday, the last day of Rae's freshman year.

Despite being only a freshman, Rae Palomo held quite the social status, even if she did not realize it.

As the party kept escalating through the hours of the night, and Matias kept micromanaging all of the teens, the whole reason behind the affair finally appeared.

Zachary Hunt was unsurprisingly flocked by his usual group of sophomore friends; Steve Harrington, Tommy H, and Carol; but he still managed to capture her attention.

Standing by the spiked punch on the counter, she was trying to convince herself to talk to him. When she looked over to find Zach, she instead saw her best friend Nancy Wheeler. The petite brunette was talking to Steve Harrington. Knowing what Steve was hoping to get in result of that conversation, Rae rolled her eyes, and continued to look for Zach.

This time instead of seeing the dark brown eyes she had come to admire, she sees the worried hazel ones of her brother.

He manages to shakily let out,

"The police just called Rae.
It's Mom and Dad."