Chapter 1

My daily day-dream. . .
______________________________________________
I walked into my classroom looking new and fashionable.

Someone in my class murmured. "Mary Ann?? Is that you?!"

I walked to my seat, every one still staring at me in amazement. What? I'm just wearing my hair down, wearing earrings, and I have in season clothes. I just started to pull out science text books out of my bag when I heard my name.
______________________________________________
"Mary Ann??" A voice asked. I figured it was Kristy's. I get up my chair and look outside my window.

"Mary Anne, c'mon!" Kristy hollered from outside.

I quickly put on my coat and grabbed my blue scarf, and dashed downstairs.

As I'm closing my front door, I say. "Hey, Kristy."

Kristy has our club notebook tucked under her right arm.

"It's almost 5:30! We don't want to be late for today's meeting, do we?" She questions.

This is Kristy Thomas. We've grown up together. She's my best friend in the whole world. My mother died when I was little, leaving just dad and me, and Kristy and her mom and brothers have always been like my family.

We both make it to Claudia's house for our BSC meeting.

Kristy rings the door bell. Claudia's grandmother, Mimi, greeted us.

"Hi, Mimi," Kristy and I said in unison.

Happy, Mimi said. "Hello, girls! Claudia is upstairs. Please come in."

When in the house, Mimi questioned me. "How is the scarf for your father coming?"

As I unwrap my blue scarf from my neck, I reply, "it's almost done!" Starting up the stairs I add. "But I'll need you to help me with the fringe."

Mimi smiled. "Of course. Anytime, Mary Anne."

We make it to Claudia's room. "Hey, Claud! We're here!" Kristy said. But, we see Claudia shuffled under her bed.

"Hi!" She says from under. "Just a sec."

That's Claudia Kishi. Kristy and I have known Claudia forever, too. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we all meet here, in her room.

She then comes out from under her bed. "Ring Ding?"
______________________________________________
Once settled on Claudia's bed, I questioned her. "Any calls yet?" I ripped open my Ring Ding package.

"One. Kristy's mom. She needs someone to watch David Micheal on Thursday." She replies bitting into the Ring Ding.

A few moments later . . .

"Hello-oo." We hear a voice. "Hey, everyone!!" We all see a tall, blondehair girl walk into the room with a fashionable coat on.

"Hi, Stacey!" I beam.

Finally, that's Stacey McGill. She just moved to Stoneybrook from New York City. And that makes the four of us: The Baby-Sitters Club!

She sets herself onto the floor.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Just checking the appointment book. Kristy's little brother needs a sitter for Thursday after school." I reply flipping through pages of the appointment book.