Chapter 6

(The club's notebook:)
Sunday, January 11

  This afternoon, I sat for Jenny Prezzioso. Jenny is three. She's the Pikes' neighbor, so I had met her a few times before today. She and her parents both look very promising and proper but Mrs. Prezzioso is the only one who acts that way. She looks like she just stepped out of the pages of a magazine. And she dresses Jenny as if every we're Easter Sunday: frilly dresses, lacy socks, and ribbons in her hair. Mrs. P probably thinks "jeans" is a dirty word.
Mr. P, on the other hand, looks like he'd rather be dozing in front of the TV in sweats, a T-SHIRT, and mismatched socks. And Jenny tries hard, but she just isn't what her mother wants her to be. . . .
                                                      -Stacey

***

Stacey rang the Prezziosos' doorbell and inside she could hear, "I'll get it!!"

"Jenny what are you supposed to do when the doorbell rings?" Another voice called after.

"Say "Who is it?"" The first voice questioned.

"Then please do that. Stacey? Do you mind ringing the bell again, please?" The second said said.

"Who is it?" The first voice questioned .

"It's me, Stacey. The baby-sitter.” Stacey said.

When Stacey got into the house, Mrs. Prezzioso immediately said to a little girl (Stacey assumed it was Jenny), "Very good, sweetheart. Hello, Stacey."

Mrs. Prezzioso was a tall, slender woman who looked like she was ready for a wedding party, Stacey thought she seemed a little to overly dresses.

"Hi." Stacey replied looking down at Jenny. "Hi, Jenny!"

"Hi. I like your skirt." Jenny said pointing to Stacey's stylish skirt.

"Now, Jenny...," Mrs. Prezzioso calmly said pulling Jenny aside and kissing her forehead. "It's a very pretty skirt, but not as pretty as my little angel in her brand-new dress!"

A fee moments later, Mr. Prezzioso was walking down the stairs saying,"All right, I'm ready, Madeline!"

When he reached the bottom, he picked up Jenny, tossing her into the air.

"Okay, Angel, be a good girl for your sitter!" He said.

"Oh, be careful!" Mrs. Prezzioso said worriedly. "Her new dress . . ."

"Well, let's go. Thanks for coming over, Tracey." Mr. Prezzioso said accidentally saying Stacey's name wrong.

"Stacey." Jenny corrected.

"We'll be at Elliot Taggart's this afternoon -- his number is in the kitchen, and the emergency numbers are next to the phone," Mrs. Prezzioso said to Stacey before leaving.

"Okay, have fun," Stacey said and waved goodbye.

After they left, Stacey took Jenny's hand and took her over to the living room.

"Well, what do you want to do first?" Stacey questioned Jenny.

"Nothing." Jenny said boredly.