Chapter 2

I've never had a fight like that before . . . especially with my friends. I walked home alone. And, like usual, the house was empty.

"Dad? . . .hello?" I ask once inside.

Since I had nothing else better to do, I decided to start dinner.

I get the leftover pot roast from my fridge, I slam the door shut. Then I take it to the oven to reheat, I bang the oven shut.

Once dad was home, he greeted me in my room. "Hello, Mary Anne. I'm home . . . Is dinner started?"

I turn around and see my dad take off his scarf.

"Hi, Dad. Yes." I reply.

Starting down the stairs, I say,"I'm heating up the leftover pot roast."

"That's fine. Let's just toss a salad, too. That will make a nice dinner." Dad says.
______________________________________________
". . .and please watch over our dear Alma. Amen." Dad said during dinner.

"Amen." I say.

Alma is my mother. Dad blesses her at every meal, as far as I know.

"Well, how was your day, Mary Anne?" He asks.

"Fine." I reply. "I got a 99 on my spelling test. It was--."

"Mary Anne, please don't talk with your mouth full." He said cutting me off.

"Sorry," I say and swallow my food. "I got this highest score in the class."

Picking up a glass of orange juice, dad says,"that's wonderful. I'm very proud of you. Your studying paid off. Did you . . .have a meeting of your club this afternoon?"

I look down at my plate. "Yes."

"What went on? Anything special?" Dad questions.

"...No..." I say sadly.

There was no way I was going to tell him about our big fight.

"Well...my case went very well today. I feel certain we're going to win." He speaks again holding up his fork judge-like.

"...That's great, Dad," I said slumping into my chair and stirring my pot roast with my fork.

Soon, I was able to escape our awkward conversation for the solace of my bedroom.

But I just couldn't concentrate on my homework.

I wish I hadn't said all those things to my friends...

But they said mean things about ME, too.

I guess Claudia didn't say anything mean to me specifically . . . may I could call her. I get out from my room and walk towards our house phone.

As I pick it up, I stutter. Then again, I'd have to tell Dad what was going on, since this isn't related...

Before bed, I lay on my bed and stare at the wall. Pink filled my eyes. No wonder Stacey thinks I'm a baby. Just think of my room, it hasn't changed since I was two year old!

If I could take down Humpty Dumpty and mother goose, maybe I'd . . . huh? I noticed Kristy walking about her room.

Kristy! That's when I rush to my dresser and snatch open my drawer. I fumble back to the window with a flashlight and flash "I'm Sorry" then I put the flashlight down "Kristy? I'm really sorry".

Kristy then pulled down her blinds, making them shutter. I wipe my eyes and began to weep. That was when I realized just how angry Kristy really was.

 That was when I realized just how angry Kristy really was