Daneen part 2 and Make One(18)

Aminat

I wait patiently in the parking lot of the hospital, where I'm doing my residency for Abdullah, who said he'd be here in five minutes. 

My phone beeps notifying me of a new message. 
I look at it and Abdullah's name flashes up. "Look in front of you."

I look up and find his car right in front of me. He smiles and waves, making me smile. I wave back, then walk to the passenger's side and get in. 

"How was work?" we both ask then laugh at each other. 

"Good, and yours?" he asks me as he drives out of the parking lot. 

"Interesting. I tried to gather everything that I needed to know, but it's quite stressful when they've all been there before I started." 

"Well, you can study more at home anyway, Rahul bhai can help you as he's a doctor, he'd know everything you need to know," he suggests. 

"That'd be great, I'm so tired, I just want to go to bed." I yawn and lean against the seat. 

"I hope your work won't be taking up all your time," he says, glancing at me with a smile. I chuckle, then hold his spare hand. 

"What?" he asks. 

"Nothing just felt like it." I shrug. He just chuckles as he parks the car.

"I have something to show you," he whispers in my ear. 

"Really? What is it?" I ask, looking at him with excitement.

"It's a surprise."

"I don't like surprises, Abdullah." I groan, but he just laughs, then pecks my lips. A gasp escapes my lips and my face heats up and I suddenly feel shy around him. 

"Come on." He chuckles and opens the door.

As soon as we enter our home, all I hear is mama yelling at Daneen, who has tears down her face. 

"Ummi?" Abdullah whispers. 

"Daneen." 

We both rush inside only to find Rahul jiju, Zara bhabhi, Aisha, the kids, baba, Daneen, and Sahil all in the living room.

"All I said was I wanted to and Sahil himself agreed." Daneen cries harder. 

"And when I say no, then I mean no. Sahil talk to your wife," mama yells, then looks away angrily. 

"Ummi, what's wrong?" Abdullah asks. 

"She nearly fell down the stairs today while cleaning the kitchen, how's she supposed to work if that happens at home?" mama says. I look at Daneen, who's staring at the floor, then at mama.

"Daneen," I whisper. 

"Didi, I didn't mean to, I swear but she's--" 

"Hey, sweety, I know, I know." I wipe away her tears. "She's worried about you and your unborn child, this is her grand baby growing inside you. Daneen, please understand it's only until after the baby."

"Didi, you too?"

"Daneen."

She wipes her tears, then shakes her head  and runs up the stairs. "Daneen, be careful, please," I yell. She slams the door.

"Mama, don't mind her, she's just emotional. I'll convince her, please don't be upset with her." I wipe mama's tears. 

"I didn't want to yell at her, beta. I am sorry, Sahil," she whispers. 

"Ummi." He groans and sits beside her. "Why are you saying sorry? You are acting as if you don't have the right to talk to her at all," he says, pinching her cheeks softly. 

Mama chuckles and pats his hand.

The door of Daneen and Sahil's room opens, getting everyone's attention. 

"I guess she's okay now," Mama whispers. I smile and nod. 

"Daneen," I call and walk up the stairs but gasp and stumble back. My hand covers my mouth when I see her holding her suitcase. 

"Daneen!" mama gasps too. Now, everyone is up.

"Daneen, what are you doing!" Sahil asks with wide eyes. 

She sniffs and wipes her tears. "I'm going back home. When we got married, it may have been last minute, but remember what you told me?" She looks at him with tears in her eyes. 

"Daneen, this is only for your own--" 

"I know what's good and what's not good for me, Sahil. I didn't marry you or anybody, so I can have my life turned upside down. Don't get me wrong, I love you, Sahil but I can't live like this. First I have to watch what I say, everything's changed. Call me stupid and childish but I'm not happy. I refuse to stay somewhere where I'm not happy, despite what didi or anyone says," she says in a single breath.

"Daneen," I whisper. "I'm not you, didi. I'm not a saint, I don't put things behind my head, didi and you are not changing my mind," she says, then puts her suitcase down and takes out her phone. 

"Yeah, I'm coming out now, thanks." She hangs up, then looks at Sahil, who looks away with hurt in his eyes. 

"I'm sorry," she whispers. 

"Daneen, you can't do this!" I pull her back. "You are carrying this family's grandkid. What is wrong with you! You are not single anymore. Life isn't all rainbows and stars, we go through many things, but you running away from them isn't an option and you are committing a big sin," I yell.

Enough, didi!" she screams, pushing me away. I gasp loudly. 

"Ever since you got married, everyone here is always right and I'm always wrong. You act like I'm not even your sister. You yell, you slap me, you do anything you want but enough is enough! I'm not taking all this from you. Not anymore." 

"This is my body, my baby, my decision, and I'm leaving this house if I want to," she screams. 

"Daneen, you are still my sister, whichever way, the only thing is that your still living childhood. I can mature you, you stayed being a child and as your elder sister it's my job, so if you want to be mad about that, then so be it. But you are not going nowhere and I'm calling ummi and baba right now," I yell.

She just stares at me, then drops her suitcase. "Go upstairs, I'll bring you some milk," I mumble. 

"I'm not your substitute baby, didi," she states. The room fills with gasps. I stumble back a little and my eyes widen in shock.

I stare at her for a second, then look away as tears fill my eyes. 

"Daneen!" mama yells, then pulls her away and slaps her. She looks at mama with her hand on her cheek and shuts her eyes tight. 

"Go to your room! I've taken enough of your attitude and enough is enough! Go, now!" mama screams. 

Daneen looks at me as a tear slides down my cheek. I look away, then we both turn away from each other. I walk up the stairs, slumping my shoulders.

***

"Aminat," Abdullah whispers as he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to his chest. "I'm sorry."

"What for?" I look up at him with confusion. 

"It's my fault. If I hadn't pushed away my feelings for you from the beginning, your younger sister wouldn't be the first one bearing a child for our family. I know our society will talk, especially on the baby shower day, but please don't take it to heart."

"Just think of it as something that Allah wants, no matter how much it hurts, just think of Him," he whispers. 

"That's the most beautiful thing I've heard all day." I smile to myself, then look up at him and kiss him a few times, making him let out a chuckle. 

"We can make one right now, habibti." He kisses my face. He stops at my neck, then takes off my hijab. He eyes me for a second or two, then works his way down.