Chapter 1

I sighed. Today was the first day of school which meant another year full of hatred. I’m Gemma Jacobs. I’m sixteen and live in New York City. My dad died when I was only six in a car accident. Since then my mom has been working doubles to get food and pay the rent. I also had to work every day at Starbucks after school. I was one of the girls in school called ugly or lame. I was mainly tortured by Alex Chester, my ex-best friend. She ditched me the day she got through the cheerleading tryouts and I didn’t. I got up and ran into the shower. I quickly go out and changed into my outfit. (Link at the bottom) I ran downstairs to find a note from my mom:

“I had to leave early and I’ll be home late, Gem. I left money for food on the counter”

I went to the counter and picked up the money. That means pizza again.

I ran out with my bag in hand and started walking towards school. I stared at the sidewalk as I walked along it and stopped in front of the bus stop near school. I smiled as I saw Amy, Rosie, Zoey and Megan waiting for me. They were the only ones who didn’t make fun of me and eventually we became best friends.

“Did you see Ashton? God he was looking so hot yesterday at the beach” exclaimed Megan.” Don’t you think so Gem?”

I sighed and looked at them. They knew my answer. I don’t believe in Love. Ever since what Johnny did to me.

~Flashback~

It was our 1 year anniversary. I smiled as I looked at our pictures from the beach and the mall. I quickly got up and ran to the nearest gift shop and bought him a pillow with a picture of us and a caption “Be mine forever”. I smiled and started walking through the park as the wind blew in the fine summer afternoon. I was going towards the ice cream truck when I heard giggling and Johnny’s voice. I slowly walked towards the tree and saw Johnny with Alex under the tree. “Happy two month anniversary” Alex’s annoying voice exclaimed. I went up to Johnny with tears streaming down my face. “How could you do this to me? I thought you loved me” “Gem, babe. It’s not what it seems to be. We were just you know, uh uh hanging out” “Yeah right kissing is just hanging out” I threw the pillow on the floor and ran as far as my legs could take me.

~End of Flashback~

I looked at the floor as a tear slipped from my eye and rolled down my check. I wiped it with my sleeve and smiled “You guys ready for a new year?”

“Heck yeah”

This year was definitely a new year.

http://www.polyvore.com/story_outfit/set?id=122475390