Prologue

To whom it may concern;

I hope this letter finds you in good health, however I'm afraid I have bad news. Our situation is inevitable: we will never see each other after my mission is complete, and he doesn't even know my true identity, but for some reason I wish there was a way to escape this melancholy fate and not have to return to the ERAA. I am unsure of who will receive this letter, apart from the fact that it will be somebody from the German base.

I would appreciate it if you could write me back explaining why this man was necessary in my mission—why did I have to invade the life of this perfectly decent human being? Our organisation is named the European Resistance Amendment Agency: we find those who are committing serious crimes and change them or eradicate them. Not once in my job description was I told that I would be investigating the innocent.

I am unsure why this is making me so angry, but it is. The past month and a half I have lived having spent in London with this man, whom I shall not name in the event that this letter is lost and found in wrong hands, sincerely have been the best of my life, he and his friends have shown me what it's like to be human again, as being shut away from the age of 15 can be very depersonalising. He's also very nice to look at in general, and he has a way with people.

Although I'm unsure as to how I managed to convince him to live with me, it's a good thing I did as it makes work a hundred times easier. Another thing I mustn't fail to stress is how I am completely unwilling to hurt him. I will not be using my gun during hours of sunlight (unless he or myself is in harm) in fear of frightening locals and him thinking I've gone insane, which may be happening. I will also not hurt him emotionally as I don't think I could bare seeing him distraught.

Thank you for understanding,

Agent #18, now known as Daniel J Howell.