When Friends Unite:

Even before the two cousins had got into Sarah's room, the argument could be heard from a good distance. Fortunately, there was peace and quiet once the door was closed. "Man,"Bastian sighed as he sat on the bed, "could they fight?"

"Yeah. But while we wait for that storm to clear up, what do you wanna do? Do you have homework I can help you with?"

"Ok,", scoffed the young Bux, "the jig is up. Now, who are you and what have you done to Sarah?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean come on, you've changed! Last year, you were nothing but a spoiled, miserable brat and now you're an angel-a complete angel! What's going on? Is this some kind of sick trick to screw around with my head?"

"No, it isn't.", Sarah wanted to get mad at him but she knew why he was acting to resentful. So instead of telling him off, she sat right next to him, placed her arm around him as she begins to explain herself, "It isn't a trap. You see, Bastian...something odd yet wonderful occurred to me. And...and that's all I can tell you."

"Why's that?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I'd told you."

"Oh come on, Sarah."

"No, I'd said enough.", she goes to look out the window as a frustrated Bastian takes out The Neverending Story. "Fine.", he said under his breathe as he opens the book, "It would be boring anyway."

Sarah pretended not to have heard him but soon took notice of the mysterious book. "What's that?", she inquired with Bastian retorting, "It's obviously a book I had borrowed."

"Can I read it with you?"

"No, Sarah. It's too private."

"Wait, is it-"

"Absolutely not! I'm pretty sure this book's rated PG!"

"Then what makes it so private?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I'd told you."

At his snarky comeback, Sarah gave up and went out the door. "I'm going to the bathroom.", she mumbled as she closed the door on the way out.

"Good.", Bastian muttered, "I can finally read in peace."

....

Once she had shut herself in the bathroom, Sarah washed her face to cool herself off. She grabbed a towel and wiped her herself when her eyes hit the mirror. In a time like this, the girl thought, I could really use a friend.

"How's 'bout four?", a familiar voice spoke. Sarah turned around to find her good old Labyrinth friends, Hoggle the dwarf, Ludo the rock-calling beast, Sir Didymus the valiant fox and his loyal, yet timid sheep dog, Ambrosius. "It's a deal.", chuckled Sarah as she embraced her allies.

"Good.", smiled Hoggle, "Now what's the matter?"

"Remember yesterday when I had told you about my aunt Lula's birthday? Well now her son, Bastian does not want anything to do with me. Yet...I can't blame him; I was such a jerk to him for years."

"Ah!",exclaimed Sir Didymus, "What this young chap need is a good reminder of what happens when there's no mercy! I shall fight him to the death! No one treats you like that and gets away with it, my lady!"

"No, no, no!", chided Hoggle, "Calm down before someone gets hurt. Now, Sarah, all you just need to do is give him time for him to budge."

"I'm trying but...ok I admit it: stubbornness is strong on my mom's side of the family."

"Should've known.", the dwarf shook his head. Then the gentle Ludo made a suggestion, "Ludo talk to Bastian?"

Sarah gave him a smile, "Oh Ludo, you can't; what if he ends up telling people about this? Especially if he has proof? I don't want him to go to an asylum nor do I want any of you guys to be tested like lab-rats."