0.4

"is he your boyfriend?" youngbin asked again, seeing no reply from the older one.

"he's not, geez. i'm gonna look after him from now on." inseong replied, his eyes not leaving chani as the carrot head climbed into his lap gingerly, before making himself comfortable.

his huge eyes stared back at youngbin's, who's staring him down, trying to still process the fact that he's so darn adorable.

"but he's in your lap... with no problem."

"darn right he is. he's 15, youngbin."

"hyung, is he bad?" chani suddenly cut into their conversation, pointing at youngbin.

"no, he's my friend. you have to call him hyung too since he's also older." inseong chuckled, his hand still intertwined with chani's.

"seongie, he's wearing your clothes. which are honestly too big for his small size. you never let any of us wear your clothes."

"he doesn't have any of his own, yall do!" the oldest shouted at him from annoyance.

chani shrank back timidly and flinched, hearing inseong raised his voice. his hand tightened its grip on inseong's thigh.

"shit, chani. i'm sorry, did i scare you?" chani looked up at him and gave him a small nod, before looking back down quickly as if he broke a rule by accident.

"look at me when i speak, i didn't mean to shout. youngbin was really being annoying." inseong cupped chani's face, making them face one another.

youngbin took a deep breath, his hand on his chest, trying to calm himself down instead of screaming from utter cuteness.

he then took out his phone and took a few pictures, the two oblivious to what's happening.

he then sent it to jaeyoon, which he instantly got a reply.

seeing the two still kinda preoccupied, youngbin tiptoed slowly towards the door, checking every few seconds to make sure they weren't noticing his absence

"master said we'll get punished for daring to look at them when they speak. it's a way of questioning their dominance on us." chani mumbled, his eyes looking everywhere else then the fox eyes staring back.

"i'm not him, chani. when someone speaks, not looking at them purposely is a way of disrespecting the speaker."

chani's eyes widen as he looked back at the older.

"i look up to hyung, i won't disrespect hyung. i'm sorry."

inseong smiled, his hand raising from its current position to pat the other's head. when it left chani's cheeks, the younger flinched when it landed on his head.

"are you okay?" inseong's voice was laced with concern.

"i wasn't expecting you to pat me, i was-" chani wanted to lie, so that inseong doesn't have to be worried every time he tries to touch the younger from affection. the pair of eyes staring back was refraining him from doing so.

"expecting you to slap me." the answer was really soft, but yet audible.

"chani, you know i-" inseong wasn't able to finish his sentence as a shrill scream echoed throughout his room.

chani cupped his ears, his body trembling against the oldest's, legs trying to curl themselves shorter and smaller, his head trying to dig itself into inseong's sweater, away from the world.

"OH MY GOD! I'M- AWWWHHHHHH MY GODDD!!" jaeyoon screamed, holding dawon's hand, his other hand covering his mouth.

"cute." dawon simply said, trying to shut jaeyoon's mouth, seeing inseong's death glare.

"ITS NOT CUTE! IT'S COUPLE GOALS!"

inseong heard soft sniffles over jaeyoon's banshee screams, a part of his sweater started to feel wet.

"i'm scared, i'm scared... hyung, i'm scared..." chani's hands desperately clinged onto the older's sweater, grabbing fistfuls of fabric like a little child.

inseong gave a loud sigh as jaeyoon continued being high from whatever fanboy faze he's going through.

he reached out for one of chani's hands, wrapping his hand protectively around the younger's. his other grazed chani's tear-stained cheeks, his thumb rubbing the onslaught of tears spilling like broken taps.

"i have to shout at them to shut up, just a head's up so you won't get scared, okay?" he whispered into chani's ear.

the younger nodded his head repeatedly, his tears not stopping and his body still trembling really badly.

"anything... anything to make it stop, please..." he hiccuped from how hard he's crying buckets.

"jae." inseong tried to just call for jaeyoon. if it works, he won't have to shout.

apparently luck wasn't on his side as jaeyoon seemed too drunk-like to hear shit.

"LEE JAEYOON!" the room was too silent as jaeyoon stopped his screaming.

the sound of chani's sniffling was echoing throughout the room.

broken words of "thank you..." was spilling from chani's mouth as he tried to recollect himself under inseong's friends' stares.

"chani doesn't like it when people scream and shout." inseong's thumbs were helping chani wipe off his tears as his eyes glared at his friends, so badly that his pupils constricted.

the stare was screaming murder if unfollowed, so the trio held their tongues.

"if you make him cry again, i swear to fucking god. i swear, i don't care if you're my friends, i'll fucking kill yall." inseong voice was daring, as if he wanted them to do just that, to make chani cry so that he had a reason to stab them dead at night.

"noted as done. i do not wanna be butchered." dawon tried to lift up the tense atmosphere, inviting himself to sit at the corner piled with bean bags.

"you're like me when i turned protective over my baby sister, it's cool."

inseong sighed from relief, seeing chani finally stable again.

"i'll make soup, what do you want?" he directed his question to chani.

"not asking us?" youngbin raised his eyebrows.

"you guys eat everything." inseong rolled his eyes in reply.

"anything." chani mumbled.

"your life is under your control now, you're the one making decisions, not them, not me."

chani sighed softly before a gummy smile made its way onto his face.

"can i have mushroom soup then? i saw a can of those in the cupboard just now." he cutely pointed to the said cupboard, the end of the long sweater sleeve dangling off his finger.

"aww..." jaeyoon tuned his fanboying to the minium, not wanting to be dead tomorrow morning.

"you'll have to stay here while i cook." inseong had to pry the koala off him and set him down on his bed as he stood up.

"you can bond with youngbin, jaeyoon and dawon hyung in the meantime." he bend down to the younger's height and towards his ear.

"if they ask really awkward things or if you're uncomfortable, just call for me." he whispered, a reassuring smile on his face.

"okay." chani returned the smile, making inseong pat his head and moved to the kitchen.

"so," jaeyoon started, rolling the chair closer to inseong's bed as soon as the oldest stepped into the kitchen and out of range of their soft talk. dawon and youngbin did the same, moving nearing.

jaeyoon made himself comfortable in his seat, his chin resting on his hand.

"we got questions."