Chapter Four

Ryan
The Auditions
Albuquerque, New Mexico

   I haven't seen Alana get mad at me since the fourth grade (only because I said something about my amazing singing talent.) Now, she's avoiding me.
   I had a couple run-ins with her over the past couple of days, but we never talked anymore.        
   Sharpay, however, has been asking me about how well Alana can sing, since she wasn't there to listen to our karaoke at the New Year's Eve party. I had to lie to my sister, only to protect my best friend. Sharpay already hates her. I don't want my sister to ruin my friendship with Alana.
"She's terrible." I made a disgusted face. I searched for her amongst the crowd of kids. I didn't see her. Today was the auditions.
I found Gabriella, Alana's female friend, walking down the hall, but no Lana. I ended up talking to her.
"She's not doing the auditions anymore." Gabriella whispered, giving a slight shrug.
I went wide-eyed. Normally, Alana would never listen to me. She can't break the status quo, she can't break the status quo...
   We stood in silence for a few moments. I started laughing nervously, scratching the back of my neck. Gabriella looked at me confused, and I asked. "Do you know where she is?"
She nodded, telling me that Alana was in the auditorium with Mrs. Darbus, our theater teacher. I thanked her, running down the hallway.
There was a crowd of students still in the corridor as I made my way to the auditorium to see Alana. The whole ordeal about the musical was getting on my nerves; Alana's behavior was upsetting.
   I pushed open the doors to the auditorium, seeing everyone moving props out of the way for the auditions. Kelsi and another guy was pushing the piano across the stage. I searched for Lana.
   After a few minutes, Alana was talking to Kelsi. She wore a loose white shirt, dark gray yoga pants, and black tennis shoes with her hair tied messily back into a braid. You gotta love Lana's sense of style; she always manages to look fabulous and comfy and flaunts everything.
   I ran down the steps onto the stage next to Kelsi. "Yeah. I would love to. Maybe we can write a song together!" Kelsi beamed joyfully. Lana gave her a hug, glanced at me, and tossed her head in the air. She mimicked Sharpay's sashay.
"I see you've befriended Alana Mason." I pointed in the direction in which she went.
   Kelsi is normally tense around my sister, and I'm not going to lie, Sharpay is pretty scary, although she's pretty relaxed around me. Kelsi nodded, stacking music sheets together, resting them on the piano.
"It's easy to tell that she's in love with you and you're in love with her." Kelsi said. I flushed bright crimson. My ears burned.
   She sat down, practicing the song that everyone had to sing for their audition. She played it beautifully, and I was lost in a daze. I hummed along to the sound of the piano.

   Sharpay and I listened to all the horrible auditions. Some were okay and a little high-pitched or too dull. I waited until it was our turn and I jumped to my feet only to have Sharpay hold me back, letting herself go first. I shook my head, rolling my eyes. 
   Kelsi asked what key she should play, since she knows that our performances are always lively, unsuited for the mellow, soft key she tends to use. I told her that our rehearsal pianist do an arrangement and she gave me a blank stare.
   Our performance this time was jazzy, happy, and motivating. All of the original tunes Kelsi gives us are all sad, boring, uninspiring, so says my twin sister.

   We were the last to audition, but I stuck around in the very back of the seats just in case.
   Troy Bolton and Gabriella came around, helping Kelsi pick up her music sheets after she tripped. Suddenly, after a few moments of silence, or whispering, Kelsi played the song.
   They turned out to be really amazing, more so than I thought. However, Lana did come around too. Blindly, I made my way back down to the stage, resting my head in my crossed arms.
Kelsi was glad to play it once more, and I sang first.
"It's hard to believe that I couldn't see. You were always there beside me." My voice came out soft and not as loud and vibrant as it was when I sang with my sister.
   I jumped up onto the stage and stood next to Lana. Alana didn't look like she wanted to continue after she heard my voice, but Kelsi looked at her in a way that Alana uneasily continued.
"Thought I was alone, with no one to hold."
"But you were always right beside me. This feeling's like no other. I want you to know that I've never had someone that knows me like you do, the way you do. I've never had someone as good for me as you, no one like you. So lonely before, I finally found (oohh) what I've been looking for."
   Lana looked at my attire and looked disgusted, raising an eyebrow. "Green is such an ugly color. Especially with that silver shirt you're wearing. Tell me again who picks out your clothes?"
    I laughed, taking off my hat.
"Alana! Ryan! You as well..."
Lana froze. "What just happened?"