Chapter 5

"What?!?!"

Micah and I were at a local bakery in the town square called Smoky Delights. It's been three days since I last spoke with Annabel and I feel it's about time I told Micah about our little talk. Micah now looked positively shocked once I finished my story. "You can't work for her!! That's suicide!"

I glared at him. "You don't think I know that? That's why I denied the offer." He huffed and took a sip of coffee. "but I have a feeling that she's not gonna stop anytime soon", I continued.

"Well you're gonna have to push her back, love. She already got close to you in the party and didn't recognize you. I suggest you don't push your luck."

"But don't you see? She doesn't remember anything from that night." He stared at me then placed down his coffee.

"Please don't tell me you're actually considering taking that job?"

I stared at him with an 'are you serious look'. "I just said that I agreed it was suicide! I will never take that offer," I paused before I continued, "but I won't deny that it didn't cross my mind." 

Micah opened his mouth but I cut him off, "I'm not saying I'm going to say yes but the land of Raysand does have impressive wildlife to hunt for." He shook his head and sighed.

"That's what's worrying me Arrow. That you'll say yes idiotically thinking about what you can kill in her land." I laughed and reached for his hand.

"Relax will you? I'm not that stupid. There are plenty of other lands to hunt in so I'm sure I'll resist the temptation", I said jokingly. He sighed and shook his head, not convinced in my argument. I pulled back and looked out the window behind him. The traders were outside trying to persuade people into buying their merchandise and their bright clothes added color to the dull drag that the peasants wore. Rein suddenly entered my mind and I grumbled under my breath. Micah raised his eyebrow when he heard my grumbling. "I'm pretty sure that I couldn't take the job even if I wanted to. With Rein in the house I'm sure that he'll have a stroke if he heard I was living with Annabel."

Micah looked at me with confusion. "Why would Rein be in the house?"

"Um because him and Annabel have an engagement at hand of course". Micah pealed in laughter.

"What?"

Micah wiped his eyes dramatically, "As if Annabel would be committed!! Ha you're hysterical! Annabel dumped him to the curb like all the others. Hahaha. Oh boy and to think I thought you were serious." 

"Hold on wait a minute. So she and Rein are done?" Micah scoffed.

"Of course. Annabel always gets courted, sometimes without her knowing it. A man walks into her life and thinks they have the right to get married but then Annabel kicks them out because 'they're moving too fast' she says. Huh as if, everybody knows that she doesn't want a relationship but with the citizens expecting it she tries to please them but never goes too far with them," he replied in hush tones. Information like this was considered gossip and attracting the wrong pair of ears could be an issue. 

"So she leads men on then breaks them?" That sounds a little cold for her. Micah looked thoughtful for second.

"You know I really don't think so. To be honest I think that she doesn't like when people make her future for her. I mean most of the time the suitors just walk in and say they're going to be wed soon without asking her." Micah looked at the clock," Oh shit! Listen I have to go to a meeting with the King soon but it's been great talking to you". He stood up and kissed my forehead hurriedly. He made way to the exit but stopped and whispered in my ear ,"And be careful with her lass." He winked and hurried down the street, out of sight. I chuckled under my breath.