Chapter 7-Protection

I ran across the field toward the benches. I knelt down and started to fill up my water bottle.

    “Don’t think you can get away that fast,” Justin was standing behind the water jug flanked by his two best friends.

    I rolled my eyes and continued to fill up my water bottle. Justin got irritated I wasn’t fighting back so he took the lid off the water jug and shoved it at me. I fell backwards as all the water rushed over me.

    I threw the water jug off of me and stood up. I looked at my, now see-through, white t-shirt. “Justin!!!!!’

    All of the team and coaches stopped working and looked at us. Lots of the guys started laughing, but my friends ran up to me.

    Benton handed me a sweat rag and I wrapped it around my shoulders. I glared at Justin, “Consider this war.” I shoved past him and ran to my car. I changed my shirt to a nice dry one.

    I walked down to the field and stood beside Benton as we listened to the coach, “Okay everyone. We have been going to practices all summer. Tomorrow is our last practice before we start school practices…Now, I want to keep our secret weapon a secret. So, NO ONE speaks about Madison being on the team. If someone asks who the kicker is, tell them it’s a surprise. Everyone understand?”

    Everyone nodded and cheered, except Justin. “Understood Justin!?”

    He looked at me disgusted, “Yes. Whatever.”

    He started to leave quickly, “Justin! Come here! I’d like to speak with you for a few minutes!”

    He stopped and turned around. “Dismissed everyone.” We all grabbed our stuff and started to leave.

    I walked up to Justin. “Have fun.”

    I didn’t let him comment as I ran to catch up with Benton and the other guys.

Justin’s P.O.V

    I glare at Benton as he walked away with her. He glared back at me. I told all of the team to stay away from her!

    “Justin, get over here!”

    I turned around and headed toward the coaches. They all said bye and left me alone with the head coach.

    “Yes sir?”

    He put his hand on my shoulder and led me to the bench. We sat down and he looked away from me and turned to the field.

    “I want you to keep that girl a secret. I want you to protect her once everyone finds out after the first game. Most people won’t accept her. So, that means, our whole team will have to be there for her. Period. No questions asked.” He looked at me. “And if she does get hurt, it’s on your head. Because I put her under your protection.”

    I looked out at the field and put my head in my hands. “Yes sir. I’ll protect her.”

    I grabbed my jacket and headed to my car. I threw my jacket across the car and it hit the window and made a loud noise. I got in my car and shut the door. I picked up my jacket and looked through the pockets. I found something pointy and took it out.

    Keys? Where did I get keys?…I smiled to myself. Coach knew I needed to clear my head and I guess he was tired if me jumping the fence, so he just gave me the keys instead.

    I laughed as I drove off school grounds. I was going to go eat before I went back to run and practice till I passed out.

    I drove to KFC and pulled into a parking spot. I got out and locked my doors. I walked in and heard her laugh. I turned around and sitting at a table with Benton, Jay, and Tyler was Madison. I stood there and looked at her. Her laugh stopped when she saw me.