Chapter 3-Summer Workouts

“Finally!” Elizabeth and I yelled as we ran out of the school. “The last day of school!” I smiled.

    The last day of school is always a field day. The school brings in lots of blow up slides and obstacle courses and other huge, fun activities. We can do whatever we want for the whole half a day. It’s the best day of the whole year! Everyone looks forward to it.

    Elizabeth and I ran to the football field, where only high schoolers are allowed, and met Lee there. He walked up to us and hugged Lizzy. I made a gag noise and laughed, then walked away giving them their own, boyfriend/girlfriend time.    

    I walked over and picked up a soccer ball then started dribbling it down the football field. I was on the 18 and kicked it into the goal. Lizzy came up and I kicked the ball as Lee got into the goal.

    We all play soccer; well, I use to. Lee is a goalie on the varsity guys’ team, Lizzy plays any potion on the girls’ varsity team, and I am best at defense.

    Lizzy passed the ball to me and I dribbled back down the field, and then passed it back to her. She took a touch, and then kicked it right beside Lee’s head. He ducked fast. Lizzy and I gasped, and then started laughing.

    “Are you trying to kill me!?”

    I laughed harder, “Yes! That’s her way of telling you that you guys are over!”

    He glared at me and picked up the soccer ball. “Don’t think about it!” I warned him.

    He started running at me so I ran away from him. I ran over to Lizzy and hid behind her. “No, no, no! I’m sorry! Don’t hit me!

    He laughed and stopped. He threw the ball to Lizzy and she started juggling it. I glared at Lee, then walked up to him and kicked him hard in his shin. I stuck my tongue out, “Jerk!”

    He started to push me back, but Lizzy walked up to us. “Come on guys, stop. You are like little kids!”

    Lee and I pointed at each other, “He/she started it!…Nuh-uh! It was you!”

    Lizzy rolled her eyes at us as we argued. She kicked the soccer ball and it hit Lee, then bounced off him and hit me. “Hey!"

    She laughed, “Then shut up!…Both of you!”

    We all started laughing and kicking the ball again, when we got interrupted by the football coach. “Madison! Will you come here please?"

    Lizzy and Lee looked at me funny as I ran over to the coach, “Yes sir?”

    “I was thinking that you could come to our summer workouts and practice with the goal posts. You could come while we were here and kick.”

    I nodded, “Sounds good to me.”

    He handed me a sheet of paper with the schedule. I folded it and put it into my pocket.

    He patted me on the back, “See you soon Madison.”

    I smiled as we walked our separate ways, “You too Coach!"

    Lizzy still had that look on her face when I reached her again. She had made Lee go get a drink for her, and he did.

    “What was that about!?” She asked.

     I thought for a minute, “Umm…About summer workouts…”

    “Summer workouts?” Lizzy asked me. “You mean like football workouts?”

    “Yeah. You know how much I have wanted to play,” I told her.

    “You didn’t even tell me! I would have gone with you!”

    She stood there looking upset with me. I felt bad. I should have asked her. She would only make the season better! I can’t believe I didn’t ask her! Wow, some friend I am.

    Lee walked up behind us, then handed Lizzy the drink. “What are you girls up to?”

    I looked at him, then at her. “I’m going to go get a snow cone. I’ll be back.” I walked away, kind of fast, hoping that she wouldn’t say anything to Lee. The last person I want knowing that I’m going to try out for football is him; he would make so many jokes about me. Never about Lizzy.