Chapter Three: Unexpected (Mike)

I wouldn't say it was giving up. I had never been the type to give up. I'd call it more....an adjustment. I had thought this through so carefully. I had grown tired of my father's lack of care, especially since Mom died a few years ago. He would just sit there and stare, chugging down one beer after another. Never a "hello, son" or a "how was your day, son?" I knew I was only causing him more grief than good, so I decided it would be best for me to leave him to his own device. Two others had joined me upon offer, and I hadn't really predicted or prepared for any more. Not until the morning before the escape.

I thought it to just be like any other Monday morning--the same kids, same self-absorbed faces. Of course, school had never been too much of an issue for me. I mean, I liked to think I was a nice guy. Student Body President, founder of the gaming club, top of my class. But no one ever asked if I was really okay.

They never looked past the mask I wore.

The moment I arrived at school, I searched for my two partners in crime. Their names were Vic and Ashleigh. I had been good friends with Vic for a long time now, since middle school. He was the secretary of the Student Body, though nobody really gave him the respect he deserved. Ashleigh had overheard our plans, and requested to take part in our arrangement. She had grown sick of her divorced parents' constant fighting, and was convinced they wouldn't even notice if she was gone. She also wanted us to add another to our group en route to our undetermined destination, a boy named Lakshay Sodhi. Although it may have seemed like a hassle to have more people, I was actually happy to take them in. We were the kids that everyone passed by, the ones that could hold a smile while we slowly died inside. I liked to think that Fate had brought us together.

I saw Ashleigh sitting at the base of the old oak tree in front of the school, nodding her head to whatever tune she had playing through her earbuds. Vic wasn't there yet. he was probably going to be a bit late this time--well, late for us, since we got there much earlier than anyone else as to discuss our plan. Vic had a large family, so it was only understandable. His mom always tried to drop him off early due to his excuse of doing extra work for the Student Body, but it almost always ended up being a bit later than us.

"Hey," I said, getting Ashleigh's attention. She smiled.

"Hey. Took ya long enough." She laughed. "Vic's not here yet, huh?" Just as she said that, I hear quick footsteps from behind me. Vic was running up to join us, panting as he jogged to a stop beside me.

"Sorry....my little brother's sick," he wheezed. Vic was small in stature, with dark, tan skin and a messy mop of dark hair. He had a faint Hispanic accent, being from a full Mexican family. My best friend, my supporter for such a long time. We carried each other through so much. From my mom's death, to his father disowning him after he came out to him, to this plan.

"It's all good," I told him, patting him on the shoulder. I set my bag down on the grass and sat down in front of Ashleigh, and Vic followed my lead. Ashleigh removed her earbuds and leaned forward, her dark eyes trained on me. Ashleigh was unique to this school. In this white-wash country town, Ash's creamy brown skin and slanted eyes were different than many others. Her mother was Korean, and her father a heavy African-American man. The mix gave Ashleigh an exotic look, and she was quite beautiful. Although, I could only see her in a sisterly way. She just had that aura about her.

"I just got the van out of the shop yesterday," I began, "It's a nine-seater. Plenty of room for all of us, and Lakshay." I looked pointedly at Ashleigh, and she nodded. "The only issue is the fuel efficiency. It'll be more expensive to handle."

"Don't worry about it," Ashleigh intervened, "I've got two thousand dollars I've been saving up since I was three. This would be the best time to use it, seeing there's no hope for Disney Land."