Runaway Freen

Freen's POV

"Do you Freen Chankimha, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? to have and to hold from this day forward, in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, until death do you part?"

I swallow hard as I glance up at the man beside me, wearing a lovely smile with so much admiration in his eyes.

The man I'd dreamt to walk life.

The man I imagined as my husband for countless times.

The man I couldn't wait to start a new life with.

It was settled, perfect as what others says.

In few seconds we'll be husband and wife.

And we'll trail our roads to forever.

All I gotta do is to say the magic words "I do" and voila! we'll live happily ever after.

Just like in the fairy tales.

I open my mouth to say but no words came out.

Suddenly I feel the feeling I shouldn't feel...

I'm in cold feet.

"What the hell are you doing, Freen! You can't turn back now!"

My brain shouting angrily and I take a shuddering breath.

Right... there's no turning back.
It's now or never.

"I..."

"No, not yet!" My heart argue back.

I close my mouth as I feel warm liquids beads up into my line of vision.

What is wrong with me?

Eugene furrow his brows worriedly and I heared the murmuring sounds of everyone inside the church resounding my ears.

I face down at my own bouquet of roses as wet drops rain onto them.

"It's okay,"

A voice whispers in distance and I feel a hand squeezing mine in assurance.

A sweet gesture that reminds me of my best friend, Becky.

The thought of her and the things that drive us apart brings another round of tears, and I can't help but to chastise myself for hurting the one I...

"Love?"

I stare at Eugene when he cup my cheeks only to see his face belong to Becky.

My heart skip, pulse roaring in my ears.

"Bec..." I gasp in shuddering breath.

Her eyes sparkles but her smile tinge with sadness as she open her mouth and says "I love you" in voiceless.

Together our tears fall down like our hearts constricts as one.

So is this the reason why?

I am struggling to say "I do" to the man I suppose to marry because...

"I'm in love with you, too Bec."

I told Becky and cry my heart out.

Then just like that, her face fades away and turn back into a face of a hurt and confuse man.

"I'm sorry,"

I sob and for the first time since the proceedings had started, the guests went totally silent.

"I can't do this. I can't marry you Eugene because I love her. All this time I'm in love with Becky."

My dreams with the one I thought I love and would spend my remaining life fades away in just one blink of an eye as I confess my feelings for my best friend.

It's not my intention to hurt any one of them.

But the damage has already been done.

I need to choose.

And I'm choosing Becky.

A few seconds of silence until I feel Eugene releases my hand, nodding in understanding.

I smile and fling my arms around him for the last time before wasting no time rushing my way out of the church into the bright December afternoon.

I need to get into my happiness as soon as now.