The Lost Queen

{a short story that will be part of the history of a fantasy world I'm creating. So don't steal :) }

That's all that's left of her. A bare skeleton. Her bone shone white like pale gold, gaping nothingness in the place of her leg and foot. The ancient warrior queen received no burial, no memorial for her great deeds.

Her body was left for the crows, her flesh slowly pecked by birds and rotted away from time. And soon the only thing left of her was her frame and the faded, disintegrating garb of a warrior. Her shining moonstone wedding ring hung loosely from her fleshless finger. A steel-framed painting of a young girl and boy sat uselessly in her pocket, never to be held and appreciated ever again. Her fae-wrought sword lay inches from her outstretched hand. A rotting spear poked through her ribs like a twig from a branch.

A little less than half a thousand years ago, the surviving warriors of a battling nation searched for their Queen on the battlefield. They overturned each body, praying with hope in their hearts they would find their Queen with still a breath in her lungs. But nobody recognized her mangled body. No one recognized her body with one leg and covered in her blood and the blood of her enemies, buried under corpses.

Her nation cried out in despair for their lost Queen, praying that her lost soul would find its way to the Resting-Place.

For her body lay lost amid the carnage of an aimless war, never to be found—or recognized again.

~awatin~