Burning

*probably gonna use this for my book* *no steals pls*

He stood atop the cliff and watched the world burn.

The smoky breeze lifted his dark hair from his neck, allowing the night air dry the sweat on his skin. Together he and the woman gazed down upon the king's capital, a burning blaze reflecting in their eyes. Wraith-like monsters feasted upon flesh, unearthly quakes had shattered huts and buildings, castles and stables.

His sword hung like a dead weight at his hip, one he barely knew how to wield. A metal blade could do nothing against those demons. His mind whirled, sifting through plans and strategies that could've stopped this hell-on-earth. Everything he predicted and planned ended in the same way. Death. Destruction. Doom.

Sighing, he sat down on the edge of the cliff, letting both of his aching stump of a leg rest from their metal prosthetic. He had strained them too much. Even a gift from the fae had their faults.

The faintly luminescent woman settled down beside him, hair floating as if in water. A chorus of shrieks rose up from down below, making the hairs on his arms rise.

"We never stood a chance." It was something he always knew, deep down. Even from the beginning. It was something he once raged about to the others, before he joined their fruitless quest for salvation.

"Once ago, you did." Her husky voice was like night itself. Maybe because she was. "You all did."

Thanks for reading,

~awatin~