Chapter 14

I got a call 3 days later from Felix. He was asking if I had heard anything about the Original. I hadn't exactly answered when Felix blurted out he was getting intel that more Hunters were being imported into L.A. to look for him. He sounded nervous, worried even.
"Are you alright Felix?"
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"You sound worried."
"No. No I'm okay. I gotta go."
He hung up, without as much as a goodbye from me. That was really strange. If more hunters were coming, then they are going to be cracking down on any vampires as soon as they arrived.
"Mark?"
"Yeah?"
He walked in, eyes glued to his phone. I shook my head and putmy hanf over his phone. His head shot up.
"Hey! What?"
"How many bags do you have?"
"Wha-Why? That's a really weird question."
"Just answer it."
"Uh, maybe 20? Enough to last me a almost a week."
"You're gonna need more. Felix called me, an he let me know that more hunters are being brought in. They're gonna crack down on things. Meaning no more alleyway deals."
"How did you even know about those?"
"Mark, you do realize I killed Stephen Christolen right?"
As soon as I said his name, a look of realization crossed his face. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sat on the couch. I sat down on the couch next to him and out a hand on his shoulder. He placed his other hand over mine, and turned to look at me.

"Mark, you know, you don't have to use the bags. You can-"

"No! I already told you I'm not doing that again. Besides, I know  someone else I can go to, I just don't want to involve him. He wanted a normal life. At least as normal as possible."

"Lemme guess? Turned and didn't want to be?"

"He was dying. I literally had no choice. I couldn't just let him die."

"Let's go see him. Hopefully, he'll forgive you."

~

"So, let me get this straight Mark. You want me, to let you, in my house, after fifty years of nothing from you! You turned me, barely taught me how to survive, and left! You complete asshole!"

I blinked. That sounded horrible, what else didn't he tell me?

"Ethan, please. You know I wouldn't be here if it wasn't serious. And I didn't visit you because you told me to stay out of your 'ruined' life."

Ethan pursed his lips, and let us in. Well, Mark. I don't think he even knew I was standing there because Mark was standing fully in front of me. Mark reached his hand behind him and grabbed mine. 

"This better be worth it."

Mark took a step forward into Ethan's house, and he placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"You didn't tell me you had someone with you. Hey Jack."

"Hey Ethan. Trust me, this is important."

"How much of that did you hear?"

"All of it, but don't worry. I'm not telling a word of it to anyone."

He nodded skeptically, and let go of Mark's shoulder. Mark made a bee-line for his couch and sat me down on it before standing awkwardly next to it. Ethan followed us, after closing the door and locking his many locks on it. He sat down across from me in a lounge chair.

"Okay, go."

"Uh, fuck where do I start? Um-"

"Mark, maybe I should explain this to Ethan? You seem flustered."

He nodded and started pacing behind the couch. I sat forward a little.

"Ethan. We have a serious problem. There's a large group of experienced Hunters coming to this region. They're probably going to decimate the vampire population. They're calling them in from all around the world. The blood supplies are going to dwindle. Others are going to be killed, and I really don't know how to stop it, but we might be able to prevent it, somehow."

He blinked a few times, then scoffed. 

"You mean their supplies will dwindle. I'm what I consider a vegetarian of our species, I don't people blood. And I want to know how you know that these hunters are coming."

I pursed my lips and looked back at Mark, who had stopped pacing. I sighed and Mark placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I heard it from my boss, who's the head of the West Coast Association, and I've just been transferred from Ireland to crack down-"

Ethan shot up, eyes flashing yellow, and snarled.

"YOU BROUGHT A HUNTER INTO MY HOME?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! EVEN TALKING TO THEM, HELL, LOOKING AT THEM CAN GET YOU KILLED!"

He lunged towards me, but in an instant Mark had him pinned against the wall with his fangs bared.

"DO NOT TOUCH HIM!"

I flinched as he yelled. He took a deep breath, and released him.

"You can believe me when I say, you can trust him. He hasn't said a word."

"Just as I assume you haven't talked to the coven. You realize how bad this is right?"

Mark snorted and took another step back. Ethan sat back down.

"My situation, yes. But what's going on with the coven? And since when do you talk to them?"

Ethan rolled his eyes and stood up. He gestured for us to follow him. I was slightly confused as to their slightly cryptic conversation they just had, but whatever it was, it was important and I want to know.