Chapter One: The Envelope

Dear Child,

Congratulations! You have been selected as one of the few people in all the realms to participate in the Seer's Trial. You will be given a complementary coach to guide you through these challenges, and a companion to support you through the blood-drenched times to come.

The purpose of this trial is to determine whether or not you have the skill set for the position of Seer. As you know, this position only opens up every century -once the old Seer is disposed of- so make sure you try your best. Of course, should you fail to survive, your parents will be compensated with Mëra.

Meet us at Firelight underneath the Galaxy Canopy for your instructions on the eve of Yulas. And remember, the only rule is:

WIN AT ANY COST.

Have a great day,

The Crøwn Service

~♤~

I placed my hand to my rapidly beating heart. It couldn't be! Why would I, of all people, be selected to join the Seer's Trial?

I shook off my questions and quickly ran past the receding courier, dodging the old pine trees around me. I knew this forest well, so well that I could walk through it blindfolded and still make it to my destination in time.

I quickly glanced around me as I slowed to a stop. I had arrived in a clearing surrounded by aging pine trees gently swaying in the wind. My feet crunched on the yellowed grass as I made my way to the center of the clearing.

"Mom!" I called. The wind stopped, and the only noise that could be heard was my breathing. After a few minutes, my mother burst forward from a shadow of black fog.

"Celeana! You know better than to disturb me during my meetings with the Fae! What, pray tell, was so important that you had to disturb me?" she scolded.

"It came. The letter of admittance to the Seer's Trial came!"

The woman gasped in surprise. "How? I was sure that would never happen, not after the incident-" she took a deep breath and continued "-but no matter. When are you set to leave?"

"Well, the trip should last two days if I hitch a ride with Brother Vance on his way to the Last City. And I am to report to the Crøwn Service on the eve of Yulas."

My mother inhaled deeply. "They know how important Yulas is to us -to the families across all realms. It celebrates the day when all the realms joined together and created the Ponif. Then, the Ponif-"

"-decided to appoint a king. Finally, the King of Dêdelas was selected as the supreme ruler of Ponif. I know the story. What of it?"

"It's just, this year was going to be special. It is your fourteenth birthday that day. When you turn fourteen, you will be given your Assignment and deemed a productive member of society. Why did they have to pick this year, of all years?"

I shrugged her off with a wave of my hand. "It was bound to happen sometime this century. I must take my leave and begin packing. Join me after you finish work."

I then paused and began to look over my mother. I hadn't seen my mother in over a week, as she had always been busy with meetings concerning the Fae and Orcs bordering the Occult Forest. But today was the day that she was supposed to travel home from the mountains of Laüd.

I scrunched my eyes. My mother was a rather round, short woman with thinning brown hair streaked gray. She was wearing forest green robes fashioned by the High Elves of Woodrow themselves. In a way, she almost resembled me.

I looked down at my thin, lean body. Apart from my deep chestnut brown eyes and long, purple hair, I was wearing the exact same outfit as my mother, only in a deep indigo blue.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I looked up to my mother, only to find that she had vanished into thin air.

Shrugging, I clutched the envelope in my hand tighter and walked toward where I knew would be a small shack that I called home.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!