Chapter Three: Trapped

Trapped. That's what I was. Trapped in my own mind, forced to witness the horrible incident that destroyed our family.

A deep voice whispered in my mind, "Celeana." The voice continued to say my name, making an echo that vibrated throughout my skull. I could recognize that voice anywhere.

It was her. The very person that I had locked away from my mind, trying to forget. I desperately screamed, trying to rid myself of the memory of her voice.

I felt a slap on my cheek, and I quickly tried to sit up but something restrained me. My eyes flew open as I lay on a cold surface, gasping for breath. I searched wildly around the room, looking for any trace, any sign of her. When I was satisfied that the room was empty, I turned my focus to my surroundings.

The walls were painted a deep maroon, and by the way the uneven brush strokes were, it almost looked like blood covered the walls. I quickly shut my eyes, trying to keep my breathing even.

Biting my lip, I peeled open my eyes and glanced once more at my surroundings. Books, paper, quills, and ink littered the floor. An old, black, leather armchair sat next to the dark fireplace. Cobwebs grew in every nick and corner, and a skeleton lay discarded on the stone floor. Overall, the room gave off an eerie aura, almost as if something powerful lay sleeping in it. I shivered as a breeze flew in and wrapped around my body. I looked around for a window, but there wasn't one.

I tried to look down at myself, but somehow, my head was restrained. By the rough texture on which I was lying, I guessed that I was tied to a rock. Something, almost like ropes, wrapped around my arms and legs, making it impossible to move them. My arms and legs burned at the rope's movement, and it felt like they tightened. The rock I was tied to seemed to be placed on a bed, and two wooden side tables attended the bed's side.

I shook off my disheveled thoughts, and jumped when a group of hooded people suddenly appeared from thin air right near my side. All of the people wore black robes, with their hood pulled up so high that I couldn't tell if I was staring at a human or another life form entirely. However, only one person in the room wore a deep maroon robe, the very same color as the walls. The man -or other life form- removed his mask, and I held my breath, praying that it was another human so I could bargain out of here.

It was a man. And a rather good looking man, too. He had short cropped red hair, dazzling forest green eyes, and an olive complexion. His lips were twisted into a scowl, and I couldn't help but inch away from his menacing stare.

His lips parted, and he barked to his companions, "Did no one debrief her? I was told that she was aware of the reason she was brought here."

One of the group stepped forward meekly. "King Hagrivard told us specifically not to. He said-" the person lowered his voice, "that he enjoyed seeing them frightened out of their wits. None of them have been debriefed, sir."

The man nodded curtly. "If the King of Dêdelas has said it must be this way, then he is surely right. Thank you, Kingsley."

The person named Kingsley nodded. "No problem, sir. But she must be debriefed in order for her to understand why she was brought here. If you could, sir?"

The man turned to me, and gave me a wicked smile. "Of course. First off, let me tell you who we are. We are the Crøwn Service. I believe you got a letter from us about the Seer's Trial?"

I replied back, my mouth dry, "Yes."

He nodded. "Good. I am Averey Delo, and I oversee the Crøwn Service. Do you know why we brought you here today?"

I shook my head. He continued, "I thought you wouldn't. We brought you here today because of the...special circumstances under which you are here."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

He sighed. "Do you know how children are picked for the Seer's Trial?"

I nodded. "Yes. They are chosen randomly from a list of all the children under fourteen in the realms."

He patted my shoulder sympathetically. "Yes, dear child, that's what it used to be. Now, under the King's rule, children volunteer to participate in the Seer's Trial. You'd be surprised at how many have this century. But before the previous Seer was disposed of, he chose five children -five very special children- to compete in the Seer's Trial. These children, the Seer had said, were surrounded by an aura of magic. He suggested that we train you, or send you through the Seer's Trial to find out if you were worthy."

"Worthy for what?"

"That, we can't tell you right now. But if you win the Seer's Trial, then I guarantee that we will disclose the reason for this special trial."

"I thought that the reason for the trial was to find the next Seer?"

"It used to be like that," Averey said simply, his eyes glazing over. "But now, the King has changed the entire dynamic of the Seer's Trial. He wants to turn the Seer's Trial into a competition solely for entertainment. He has changed the three simple trials that used to determine if you were worthy, and replaced them with a project that he likes to call 'Machïna.' He's even gone so far as to-"

He was interrupted by Kingsley elbowing him hard in the ribs. Averey turned to glare at the man, but I quickly intervened.

"Actually, I have a question for you," I stated quickly, trying to ask them as many questions as possible. "Where are we?"

"Why, the Last City, of course! You didn't think we'd let you miss the eve of Yulas, did you? You still need to learn the gist of the game-er, trial!"

I shuffled nervously. "C-C-Can I leave this place, then? Tomorrow's my birthday, so..."

He looked around at his companions, muttering to them softly. Averey replied uneasily, "Sure. You realize that you're not allowed to go home, right? All you are allowed to explore is Firelight. But, as with all deals, there is a drawback. Unfortunately, I will have to be your escort from now on."

I sighed in relief, and waited for them to release me. When no one made a move, I screeched at them, "WELL THEN? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ON WITH IT!"

One member of the group snickered. "This one has a temper, doesn't she?"

Kingsley stepped forward. "Now, now, don't get your panties in a knot. We just don't want to be bitten and get rabies from you. So, if you could put those canines away..."

I snarled at him, but soon nodded reluctantly. He inched forward, and slowly cut open the ropes with his dagger. Once I was free, I gently rotated my arms and legs, making the feeling return to my limbs. I glanced up, expecting weapons pointed straight at me. But, to my delight, only Kingsley and Averey remained in the room.

They shuffled uncomfortably, avoiding my eyes. I slowly glanced around the room, looking for the source of their interest.

"What? What's wrong?" I questioned fiercely.

"N-Nothing," Kingsley stammered.

I felt a breeze flow through me, and shivered again, wondering how a breeze could be this cold. I wrapped my hands around myself for warmth, but froze in my place as I felt only bare skin. I looked down and my face turned red as I realized that I was stark naked.

 I looked down and my face turned red as I realized that I was stark naked

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!