Chapter Four

Bess's POV

     As the night goes on, I desperately think of a way to meet my beloved Lance. There is no simple option; jumping out my small window would mean a ten foot drop and there are guards surrounding the place, two outside my door and a few outside.

     Suddenly, I hear voices by the wooden door. I get up and slowly creep my way over to hear what they are saying. As I do so, the knob turns and I know someone is about to come through. The air turns cold with the suddenness of it and my heart jumps in and out of my chest with every beat.

     I scramble to get to the position I was in before, sitting in a little chair, gazing out into the night. Everything looks so beautiful at this time; the lights all over the town casting shadows near the forest, I can hear laughter among the people, and all the citizens who are on their way to the Governor's Ball.

     I'm so wrapped up in the glory of the tiny town, that I don't hear Timothy Greene, Tim or Timmy, calling out my name numerous amount of times.

    "Yes, what is it?" I turn my head to see the American stable worker grinning at me. He came all the way from America for work. Father says he will be my future husband because he's so trustworthy. I  don't even love Timothy, yet I'm being forced to become his bride!

     "I was sent up here to check on you by your father. Everything okay?" I nodded, then gazed back out on to the town, sighing.

     "I just want to get out of this cursed place. Its quite lonely and rather boring." I yawned.

     "Well, maybe I could take you out? You know, to see the sights, and I could possibly convince your dad to let me take you to the ball?"

     I looked at him, surprised. Yes, Timothy was my ticket out of here! Why didn't I think that before? I smiled wide, showing that I wanted to go through with it.

     "Alright Bess. I'll go talk to your father and see what he says. I should be back soon." And with those last words, he left my tiny room. I was very excited to be able to leave and see the outside.

     He came back as quick as he left. I turned away from the window and awaited his answer.

     "So, your father said that he would allow me to take you out. Get ready, and I will be out front with a horse."

     I smiled. "Be sure to get Honey, please."

     Honey is my horse. I will ride her around plenty of times. Ironically, her coat is tan, but her mane glows like gold, or in her case, honey.

     After changing into a velvet lace dress and my white shoes, I hurry out side and on the back of my horse. With one command from Timothy, we are off, my hair flowing in the night as Honey gallops along the cobble path.

     We pass many things; children playing games near their houses as mothers call them in to eat supper, glistening ponds, and wide open fields. We soon arrive at the market where I would meet Lance.

     "You stay here Bess while I go and look around for horse feed and tools so I can fix the barn tomorrow."

     I smile sweetly and nod. He ties Honey to a post with other horses around it and goes off, leaving me to brush her coat. When I know he's gone far off, I calmly make my way to the pond.

     I see Lance there, skipping rocks making the fish swim around. He's sitting on a newly added stone bench with a swirl pattern engraved into the edges. He turns and sees me.

     "Bess! My love! I've been waiting. Where have you been?" He pulls me into a hug and I gladly return it, smiling.

     "I will explain it later, but I'm ready for the ball!" He smiles, noticing my some what fancy velvet dress.

     We make our way to his black horse. I glance around and see that Timothy is no where near, yet Honey is right near us. I pet her mane and the fur on her tan face one last time for the night. I plant a kiss on the bridge of her snout.

     "Goodbye Honey, I'll see you very soon." Lance then lifted me onto his horse and we were off.

___________________________________________________________

Ifeellikeareallybadperson. Ihopethischapterwaslongenough. ItsnowsummerformeandI'llhopefullybeabletoupdateonthisprofilemoreoften. Again, sorryforthe horribly long wait. Itwashalfwritersblockandhalfbeingsuperbusy. ThenextchapterwillbebySMandshewillmostlikelybeabletouploadfasterthanme. Onelasttime, sorryforthewait, andhopeyouallenjoyed. ~KC