Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Bess’s POV

  I watch as his dark hair shimmers in the light stunningly. Eyes bouncing with glee and excitement while we sit near the lake in perfect harmony. The wind blows my dark hair into my face and Lance leans over and gently pushes my hair behind my ear, leaving his hand there a little while. Tingles flash over me quickly and leave just as rushed.

  For almost two months the Highway Man and I have been meeting here at noon every day to enjoy the sunshine and warmth. Not a day since has my evening ever been a bad one either. I although have yet to tell Juliett, somehow I feel as if it is too personal. Of course I plan to tell her that Lance, a Highway Man, has been courting me for a few weeks now. I’m scared that she will be angry due to the part about Lance being a thief. Lance doesn’t talk about it much, even when I pursue the subject; he holds his ground and says not a word. So I have no clue whether or not he steals from the rich to give to the poor, or if he just steals to have the gold and jewels for himself.

  Suddenly I am swept off my feet as Lance proceeds to jump into the lake. The warm water feels good against my skin as I emerge from underwater with Lance by my side. “Bess, my love, your beauty is stunning. Will you let me have the honor of courting you tonight at the governor’s ball?” Lance asks his British accent ever so soft. Water drips and I swim silently to keep afloat. Around us the water is glowing yet as I think of the answer to his question, I can feel the glow fading ever so slightly, the sunshine a little dimmer and the wind a little harder.

  “I would love that, but I have not yet told my father about us.” I reply feeling immensely guilty. I avoid his eyes, fearing what lay in them.

  “Don’t fret, I understand. I’m a thief…” Lance trails looking down slowly. My petite hand finds its way to his face, caressing it softly and smiling, letting him know without words how I truly felt. While Lance guides me out of the water, I hope deeply that he had gotten the message.

  “If you decide to go, meet me here at the hour of nine.” He states. Our day ends quickly after that and I run home to tell my father I was out with Juliett. The day seems to get even duller as I run along through the golden fields.

  The clouds dreary and dark, covering the sun that was once so beautiful. As if they were reflecting on my feelings. Lance felt ashamed by his being a thief, and he thought I did too. Although that was not the case, I just didn’t have the words to tell him so.

  When I arrive home, still damp from the lake might I add, Juliett is already there with my father waiting in foyer. Oh no. “Bess, where have you been?” My father’s angry voice erupts, breaking the frosty silence. The ceiling above shudders from the wind that is pushing against it fiercely.

  A drop of water drips from my chin as it quivers. Juliett says no word, however. “Father I can explain-“

  “No. I don’t want any more of your excuses; you were out with a boy weren’t you?” He interrupts, hands on his hips sternly. The old in floor creeks as I rock back and forth on my heels, trying so desperately to think of an excuse. My father’s eyebrows scrunch together in anger, I look to Juliett for help but she just shrugs her small shoulders.

  The rain outside comes with a booming thunder and I finally decide that I have to tell him. “I was out with…Lance.” I grimace when I say his name and my father wastes no time to look enraged, his hair seeming to flare out.

  “Who is Lance?” He demands and I jump slightly, scared of what is to come next. When I tell him the story of Lance and who he really is, my father gets furious with me. I had never seen him so angry before, his face is red and a vain on his forehead is pulsing to his fast beat heart.

  “You’ve been seeing a highway man?! I’m surprised he hasn’t killed you yet! I forbid you to ever see him again! From now on you may not leave your room. Go!” He yells the last part louder than the rest and as tears stream from my face, I take one last look at Juliett before running up the stairs. Knowing she couldn’t do a thing to help me.

  As time passes I don’t know what I am to do. I can’t stop seeing Lance. I just can’t. My heart feels heavy while I try to determine what the right answer is. Should I disobey my father and never see the Highway Man again? Or should I do the opposite. Neither feels right in my heart.

  Wind scrapes against the inn just like my thoughts were scraping against my mind. Trying to free themselves of my everlasting dilemma. Finally, I come to a decision; I will continue to see Lance. If my father can’t accept it then so be it. I told him the truth and he denied my right to choose who I’d like to be courted by. As he wants to marry me off to the stable boy, Timothy Greene.

  Coming to this conclusion I realize I’ve nearly forgotten about the ball tonight that Lance has asked me to. Father will never let me go. Hm…what to do now?

______________________________________________________

Yes, very short, I admit. I had a bad case of writers block though. This chapter would have been up yesterday but of course wattpad was being stupid and wouldn't upload. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter(: Of you did please press that vote button up there ^^ and add this story to your library. Next chapter is going to be by KC , thank you for reading(: BYE!

                                                                                       -SM